Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 17 hours.

New Class
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sasauri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: New Class

Dp not know if this is the right Forum.........but here it goes.
The class is the wind seer. his skills and spells are listed below give me your thoughts.
SKILLS:
LEVEL 1: MACE, DAGGER, STAVES, SCROLLS, RECALL
LEVEL 5: MEDIATION, HAND TO HAND
LEVEL 6: KICK
LEVEL 12: FAST HEALING
LEVEL 14: DODGE
LEVEL 18: HAGGLE
LEVEL 19: PARRY
LEVEL 22: TRANCE
LEVEL 23: SECOND ATTACK
LEVEL 31: ENHANCED DAMAGE

SPELLS:
LEVEL 1: ARMOR
LEVEL 3: DETECT INVISIBILITY
LEVEL 4: DETECT MAGIC
LEVEL 8: INFRAVISION
LEVEL 11: GUST
LEVEL 13: IDENTIFY
LEVEL 15: LEAVES
LEVEL 16: GALE SHIELD-SHIELD LIKE PROTECTIVE SHIELD BUT WITH WIND
FAERIE FIRE
LEVEL 18: FLY
LEVEL 20: DUST CLOUD0-AREA BLINDNESS
LEVEL 22: AIR BLESSING
LEVEL 23: CURE SERIOUS
CANCELLATION
LEVEL 25: TORNADO
LEVEL 28: CALL GRIFFON- YOU CAN SUMMON ONLY ONE GRIFFON
LEVEL 33: THUNDER STORM- LIKE CALL LIGHTINING
LEVEL 35: CHANGE WEATHER
LEVEL 37: TYPHOON- WATER BASED DAMAGE
LEVEL 45: TEMPEST-MAJOR WIND DAMAGE

I will make it more indeoth but your Ideas
Races: Human, Werebeast, and Halfling.
Send me a message on if you want to know more.

Last edited by Sasauri on Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Explain what the new skills do?

0 0 0
Meriando
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Detect Hidden is a skill not a spell and mages shouldn't get it.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject:

Umm play a druid.

0 0 0
Meriando
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject:

Keen sight and detect hidden are different in ways...

0 0 0
ssgtortho

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject:

This is much like a druid. It won't fly. The new spells, however, might be implimented if you EXPLAIN what they do.

0 0 0
DropThat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject:

How about a new race. Orc or half orc or maybe both. if full orc, then they'd have class selection like warrior, thief, berserker, shaman, healer, necromancer and maybe dark knight, and be neutral or evil alignment, and half orc could be all those classes and psionicist and invoker and be any align. full orc would prob has something between fire and stone giant stats and half orc would be between minotaur and storm giant stats. their resists and vulns if any would be the same.

and I know there's gonna be a lot of stupid bastards who'll disagree with me A.) because they just like to B.) because they know me from other posts and want to C.) because they don't like change.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject:

I think your tinfoil hat slipped, DropThat.

0 0 0
DropThat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject:

WTF does that mean. I know a lot of people like orc or half orc playable races.
In fact I've seen a lot of characters complain of the lack of races/classes.

I know that you dont like me dav.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject:

Its your attitude that you don't like. Apparently anybody who disagrees with you is a stupid bastard. Let me ask you this, when you go to the local nursery, do you get into a fist fight with the five year olds? Or are they too big for you?

Quote:

I've seen a lot of characters complain of the lack of races/classes

I've seen a lot of characters complain we shouldn't have dwarf paladins, slith rangers/monks, new illithid classes. And I've seen a lot of half-assed ideas for new races and classes, like dragons and orcs (warcrafts flagship race, and done in 1000 muds, though I am pretty partial to them anyway because of the strong anti-elf history they have) wind seers which is basically druid with most the spells stripped out, and transmuters which are ripped off from some other MUD. Matter of fact I've seen complaints about every new change and every current existing piece of the game that you can think of. Am I calling all these people stupid bastards?

Quote:

full orc would prob has something between fire and stone giant stats and half orc would be between minotaur and storm giant stats

And that tells me ... nothing.

0 0 0
Brains

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject:

You want a new race? How about one that isn't as overdone as a week-old egg on a Las Vegas sidewalk?

There are plenty of rarer races that are still within the accepted fantasy realm that could be considered. Driders, for example.

http://www.jaestudio.com/Drider.jpg
http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/transfer/pictures/CREATURES_H2orat_LunaC04Picture.jpg

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject:

It's easy to have a lot of useless races that turn the whole system into just another overgrown stat-swapping template, instead of a system that differentiates and encourages uniqueness among characters. I've seen a lot of muds boast that they have 50 races. 40 of them will be so similar that hardly anyone plays them, and more than 50% of the people play the strongest race they have due to balance issues.

This is not what I want for AR.

Drop the assumption that "more races is better"--it's not. In fact we have so many races that we're already starting to tread dangerously into the cookie-cutter territory, and we're already working on ways to make races more unique by expanding racial skills and adding other yet-unannounced racial specifications. From experience, let me say that it's hard enough doing this with as many races as we already have while still trying to keep these new things interesting. I would highly resent trying to make additional bland selections interesting just because some people thought it'd be cool that they simply exist.

Look at what you've written:

Quote:
full orc would prob has something between fire and stone giant stats and half orc would be between minotaur and storm giant stats. their resists and vulns if any would be the same.

Do we really need another "in between" race just because it's "cool" and it's in a lot of other fantasy sources, like LOTR and Warcraft? Think about what function it will serve in the mud.

There are two new races currently being worked on right now--treants which were already announced a while ago and will have innate skills to make them unique within their highly-restricted class selections (only two available for them), and a yet-unannounced race that will be filling in a very specific (currently unavailable) stat-distribution for two very specific classes. That's it. I'm not opposed to adding more on principle so long as a clear need is demonstrated and they serves as a useful addition to diversify and add interest to the mud--in other words, by being differentiated from existing races in some way. "People like orcs" isn't going to cut it as a reason to push the mud further into the "cut-and-paste stats-and-bonuses" territory. People also like ham sandwiches.

0 0 0
bUDBOAL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject:

Well then, why don't you do away with some of the races and classes that few players play. For example i RARELY see a half-elf. Do away with it. I do not know what class selections are rarely, if ever used, as i profess to be a newbie with great gusto. Do away with them and then create NEW, INTERESTING, and DIFFERENT races and classes.
Races:
Orc
Goblin
Dryad/Nymph
Dragon
Driders
Dervish

Classes:
Amazon- Warrior/Ninja
Witch- Neutral align cross between shaman and healer
Gladiator- Neutral align cross between Paladin and Dark-Knight
Hunter- Quest class to counter Vampires

0 0 0
sweet_canadian_buzzcut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject:

cross between a paladin and a dark knight, now if that aint overpowered and if that makes sense...My world is shattereed and I should no longer live. Jesus. What a daft prick.

Anyways half elves are mostly for those hoarding heralds that enjoy a bit of rp and dont plan to pk because the half elf stats arent real great. I dont even think they sneak, which removes alot of the drool worthy things about the regular elf. Illithids are another one of those rarely played peeps but that is just peeps dont play psis and then you see some be illus' but then no flight and peeps draw away from that aswell. I like the race selection, the ogres on another mudd have 15 int 15 wis str and con at 25 and they talk all the time like they are drunk, very interesting but very another giant like.

If there needs to be anything we need to get a few more classes, the one that was suggested at the begining like dav said is a reincarnate of druids, but if worked on and seperated a bit more, I think they could work. Transmuters are dumb. And lesse here, uhm...yeah thats all i have to say I think.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject:

bUDBOAL wrote:
Well then, why don't you do away with some of the races and classes that few players play. For example i RARELY see a half-elf. Do away with it. I do not know what class selections are rarely, if ever used, as i profess to be a newbie with great gusto. Do away with them and then create NEW, INTERESTING, and DIFFERENT races and classes.
Races:
Orc
Goblin
Dryad/Nymph
Dragon
Driders
Dervish

Classes:
Amazon- Warrior/Ninja
Witch- Neutral align cross between shaman and healer
Gladiator- Neutral align cross between Paladin and Dark-Knight
Hunter- Quest class to counter Vampires

Those races aren't interesting.
Those classes aren't interesting. Why for play an amazon when you have a thief? Why play a witch when there used to be clerics. Cross between shaman and healer? That's what exactly that got Clerics out. Gladiators = cross between pala and dk? How overpowered you want it to be? Sanc + Divine Might + Empowerment + etc etc virt light, and then DK's charm person, blind, curse, dirt kick, etc etc etc. Go figure. Hunter? How many vampires do you think AR has at any one time besides the 3 gangbanging idiots who WILL gangbang? So how many hunters you want? 10, 20?

0 0 0
theobserver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject:

bUDBOAL wrote:

That is like saying "go and create a half-life 2 beater and become rich". It sounds great but unless you give a persuasive argument that the idea is viable and more specific details, it just isn’t going to happen.

Details like:

The stats - too high and you render other races obsolete, too low and players wont choose your race. Too similar to another race and your race becomes pointless.

The background - how it will fit into Ar and how can players rp them

Uniqueness - how it this race different from others apart from just the name

0 0 0
Xonovik

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Burzuk, treants have been an idea in the works for a long time.. ever since I saw Treant:0 in the score of monks 3 years ago. I have always wondered when that would happen. Anyway.. just wanted to point that out.

As for this subject matter, more races is stupid. Adding one race every year or two may be fine, but having so many races does not suit RP or the playerbase well. Even the helpfiles for the races are not standing true anymore based on the population(or your conception of it), with exception of humans, which should be the most populous race in the realms. I personally think, if you want your ideas about new races/classes want to count, we would need more people playing. With the existing playerbase, I find it sad to RP primarily with level 50s while everyone else just start and end fights with you without saying a word to each other.

As Burzuk mentioned, at least my interpretation of it, the more races there are, the more reason to weed out unwanted race/class combinations, because they can render useless over time. So make it a goal to boost playerbase first up to like 60-70 people.. set new goals when that is achieved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject:

Basically, this is just an over-specialized and somewhat underbalanced druid.

If you wish to play something like a "wind seer" play a druid and roleplay it out, instead of writing up a new class few people would play.

Also, this sounds something like the village Wisdoms from The Wheel of Time...I think AR has enough Wheel of Time-isms.

:bloody typo:

0 0 0
Dark Elf

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject:

If any new races or classes hit AR it will turn to shit. And i dont what to see that happen. Orc!?! WTF you wold see one orc then about 5 elves. That battle is as old as time. Half-orc, This is not D&D. Now new race abilities, that would be neat. And once religions hit AR it will be complete. Maybe a new mage Cabal. But now that i played a bootleg version of AR the mystics were a little overpowered it seems. And what ever happen to the Imm that was over the RPing? AR should be about RP as much as PK. Oh well.

0 0 0
DropThat

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject:

you want to know the reason there seem to be so few of this or that race / class? we only have a 50 something player base! look, right now AR is in the top 20 for muds right? I dont know. but what I do know is that all the other muds near this one in terms of player base, has avg of 100 active at any given moment and a lot more players than that..

like I said before, its how you guys treat the mud community. that rule room is total crap, it only makes a rule breaker defensive. ever heard of tact? then there's the ISP ban. ban IPs of (CONTINUOUS not one timer) cheaters, not the entire mud community. right now an aol person has to get a new ISP to play. thats bullshit. you know they wont go through that hassle to play a stupid game A. because they don't know this game's good because they can't even get in B. because its a lot easier to go to a competitor.

if you own a store, do you immediately kick out people because they all come from a certain area of town where one person who stole from you came from? you'd lose customers faster than you can say wtf did I do..
if you havent noticed we only have a few newbs and the rest are just the old fools who were lucky enough not to do something bad as a newb and complain like a newb would.

and this mud is NOT very newb friendly if it cant let them cool off after getting pissed and then allow them the second chance that it says IN THE RULES, you should get. all you people who are pissed at newbs? you were one too, don't act like you're so good because you were once like them. if you can't let others in, you won't increase player base. result, ar will stagnate, and the only players who are already here, will start to leave(because they realize how much time they wasted), leaving you with noone to play with. poor you.

And I just want to ask: Has anyone seen my brain? I think its been lost for a few weeks now.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: