Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 21 hours.

Camouflage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valerion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Camouflage

Question: Why is it that rangers have the ability to camouflage themselves, and druids don't?
Reason for asking: It would make sense that a druid could hide in the forest. Just about every other magic user has detect magic, and there are items in the game that grant permanent detect magic, therefore making spirit form useless in many PK encounters. And yes, I keep a steady supply of invisibility potions also, but every magic class except for druids can detect that, so it is also worthless against mages.
What it would do:
1. Make druids harder to find. (Especially useful while under rank 30, where you are a target by anyone and everyone)
2. Put druids on an equal playing field with other mage classes, especially at low ranks.
3. Make druids one of the best fleeing classes. (This would be the main argument for turning camouflage down, as I can see it) Spirit form, camouflage, and pathfinding. However, they don't have any kind of gate, teleport, or word of recall spell, so I don't think it would be too much.
4. Give people another reason for calling druids overpowered. (I don't really believe this, although I do think they are one of the most well-rounded classes)
Of course, all of this is my opinion, but I feel that camouflage is the one skill that would even out druids in PK matches. I'm not saying that tornado and their maledictions aren't great, but when it comes down to it, spirit form just isn't enough for getting away. Please let me know what you think, as I have been wondering about this for quite some time now.

0 0 0
Allie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Druids have spirit form, which is good anywhere, as opposed to camo only in forests. Personally I think spirit is better.

0 0 0
Clifton

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject:

If druids could cammo, you know what that'd be like? That'd be like chasing thieves or ninjas in extra damage. They already pull DISEMBOWELS and have pets to rescue/add damage, whatever... plus They have an assload of offensive spells. The reasonable conclusion is that they are more of an offensive class. Besides, they're clerics of nature. Most of their powers come from chanting, not skills like Ranger's camoflauge, beast call, etc... etc...

0 0 0
Valerion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Ok, so spirit form is good everywhere. Wonderful.
Example: A druid and a fire giant berserker are fighting at let's say, the 25th rank or so. Mr. Fire Giant Berserker goes and gets a pair of spectacles, which are easy as shit to get. Now Mr. Druid is f***ed, unless he can run like a bat out of hell. Couple this with the fact that most mage classes get detect magic at like what? The 3rd rank or something? Giving them camo would only make them hard to find like thieves or ninjas in the FORESTS, which is where they should be anyways. So who cares? For RP purposes alone, you should have to be damn good to catch a ranger or druid in the woods anyways.

0 0 0
theobserver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject:

You can apply the same argument to invisibilty. Most mages get detect invis before level 10 and clear potions and other detect invis items are easy to get, so why not give every mage hide to help to escape pks?

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject:

spirit form + pathfinding + pets + the correct mixed potion(s) + all the kickass maledictions = good enough (IMO)

Adding camouflage would overpower an already arguably overpowered class. Foraging/brewing/mixing (while kinda time-consuming) is a very underutilized and underrated skill set (IMO).

Quote:
spirit form just isn't enough for getting away

Combine the right potions with two powerful pets (plus the fact that you can buy a merc or something else as well), plus spirit form, plus blessings, plus stone skin/thorn armor/might of the oaks/blessing of myria, plus needles/earthquake/tornado/hurricane/winter's wrath (and throw in a well-timed blood seed/curse of the jaguar), and you shouldn't really have to flee against many opponents.

The druid class is pretty balanced and allows for a very self-sufficient character, as well as an extremely formidable PKer at most ranks. I don't think another way to 'hide' would increase their effectiveness. Even when they're spirit formed, the treant and spotted leopard kinda give away the presence of a druid (and that's assuming they can't already 'detect magic,' which would reveal the spirit formed druid anyway). Even if the druid was camouflaged, you'd still have the leopard and treant sticking out like a sore thumb. Faerie fog or a fireball or some other area spell would take care of that camouflage real quick.

I like druids as much as anyone else that's played them and likes them. And much like other classes that anyone likes, there are skills that I think would benefit druids and fit well within the guidelines of their class description. However, adding a skill like this wouldn't really provide a benefit (at least that I can see).

0 0 0
Seryie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: I..

I played a druid for a while, and they are overpowered as shit i am the sukiest pk'r around, and it wasnt that hard to kill.. the pets the spells *drools* they are very very buff!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Valerion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Ok, if you've looked at the post going on in Mocker's Tavern about the Best of the Best, you will notice something. There are repeating answers from people about the following classes:

Invoker: None
Ninja: None
Psionicist: None
Ranger: None
Druid: None

First of all, if these were all overpowered classes, there would be more people playing them. Obviously these classes need some recoding if very few people want to play them. But I'm sure Dav is aware of which classes need recoding, and that's his business and his alone to determine what needs to be fixed and what doesn't. It's his MUD.
And Sebryn, you have some good points. Thank you for responding to my post with something intelligent. I completely disagree with you about camouflage, but at least you are giving me a valid reason why it shouldn't be done. That's all I'm asking for.
However, I do not believe that a Druid is a very formidable PK'er until he gets his lifeblood spell, Tornado. Sure, druids that just go around chanting tornado suck IMO also, because there are some very good spells they have besides that.
I do love the druid class, and it is one of my favorite classes that I've ever played with on any MUD. I'd just like to see a few things revamped, and I'm trying to get my ideas out there about this VERY underrated profession. Thanks for any input you all have. I just wanted to clarify why I am putting these druid posts out there.

0 0 0
Rezakhan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject:

One further point--giving druids camo would effectively mean that warrior classes would have almost no way to kill them. All the classes that have some form of hiding (ninjas, thieves, rangers) are classes without protective shield, meaning a warrior/zerker has to bash/bodyslam them to death before they can run off and hide. Since druids have might of oaks, which takes away those skills, it would give the druid a hell of an advantage over those types of classes.

0 0 0
Stephen2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Druids.. Are.. AWESOME!

On the old forum Dav/Burzuk (P.S. Where is Burzuk? Haven't heard from him on here for a while...) many times listed the many, many cool things about them.

From my experience:

Enhanced damage
Best two defences in the game
The most powerful affliction in the game
Two half decent pets (albeit low, low HP)
Cure serious on a GROUP (awesome)
Prot shield/Trip protection in 1 spell

Christ, they're powerhouses.. If I make another character any time soon, it'll be another druid. Halfling druids are amazing, I can't believe there's no good ones at fifty...

To be blunt, camoflague is an overpowered skill. It lets you hide anywhere in a forest (there are forests EVERYWHERE), with only ONE class being able to see you.

To give ANOTHER overpowered skill to a stacked class would be rather silly.

Quote:
Even if the druid was camouflaged, you'd still have the leopard and treant sticking out like a sore thumb.

Camo is for when you're desperate to hide. Just SOLITUDE first, to lose the pets, and nobody should be able to find you.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Foyer of the Mind
Ideas and suggestions. We can only use your ideas if you post them in here.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject:

Stephen2 wrote:
P.S. Where is Burzuk? Haven't heard from him on here for a while...

Lurking.

0 0 0
Accident-Prone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Druids ROCK HOUSE! They are a powerhouse class. Camoflauge would be a great rp skill. Only would make them almost unstoppable. I think they are fine the way they are. At least they can see camoflauged rangers.

Quote:
If I make another character any time soon, it'll be another druid. Halfling druids are amazing

Halflings are not the best Druid, GNOMES ARE!

I do have one problem with Druids. And that is why do Druids have only one guild hall? Or maybe i am mistaken. If i am please let me know.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: