Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 16 hours.

Looking for some pk-related ideas.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject:

Yes, but at a time like that, you might want to fall back on energy scrolls, and you will argue on the forums that scrolls should not require mana because all you have to do is read. I have mixed feelings about scrolls generally requiring mana to use, because this solution is only even being considered due to one single scroll in game. In fact with cabal supplies, especially, the point with the staves of having the group sanc stave was so that pallies in cabals can sanc their group quickly and without blowing valuable mana on that task. So there's no way that can be done for staves. Presumably scrolls has some relation to that. Will it fix cleric medic whoring? Possibly. But then there are other classes, where mana is a premium, paying gold for those cure scrolls (e.g. dark-knight) . Mages tend to need their mana too. I know you might think it surprising that they have 1000+ mana and run out, but they do that. I would much rather (and the more I've thought about this, the more I wanted to) just give cleric scroll-use an increased fail-rate penalty, maybe rogue too, but mage/dkn don't need one. The point of the medic scroll was to help those players in cabals to run-and-gun. Perhaps the cooldown could be a couple ticks longer. Anyway, thank you for trying, but that isn't the right solution.

0 0 0
Dispater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
Umm.. Slowing movement is cancelled by having a groupmate pulling you around with /fol. It has to be either movement points or a dex penalty.

I wouldnt want to allow players/charmies to give you stuff just to deliberately overburden you with them.. its only ok for quest-type mobs to do that and if you actually "buy" or "get" the item yourself. Otherwise it would say "hes carrying too much weight"

I'm surprised we're debating this stupid idea

Quote:
I think you should consider reciting scrolls (maybe also zapping with wands or brandishing staves) to have some drain on mana. From a role-play standpoint, I think reading and reciting a scroll would be a drain on mental energy, thus should drain mana a little. From a balance standpoint, this wouldn't give healers and shamans completely free heals with medic scrolls and energy scrolls any more, and wouldn't affect the other mage classes/thieves and ninjas too much.

I thought about that myself but then there are times when you have 0 mana and you really need that scroll

You can also reduce the movement speed of the group leader when he's dragging around a fatass.

Btw, slightly off topic, but implementing some movement delay while leading a group bigger than 3 would be a nice idea imo, maybe a bit outdated as there's rarely more than 3 people on, but it can help stopping hugegroups rolling over ppl.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject:

I've dicked around with movement speed before on the testport so I have seen the impact it has in game to move faster (or slower) than your opponent. So I would not like to be coupling it with weight burdening . But there are a few other ways it can be interesting to toy with.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject:

So I was just randomly thinking when I came up with this thought.

Fly pots duration should be dependent upon the weight/race of the quaffer.

I think this would really only apply to the potions rather than the scrolls on account of my "logic" to follow. There is a certain amount of gooey potion gel and has a certain amount of strength. It probably would take more gooey potion to keep a fire giant in the air for ten hours than it would to keep a gnome in the air for ten hours. Therefore, I think lighter/smaller races should have a longer duration on their flight pots.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject:

I like the attacking sleeping players for extra damage bit, what if there was an initial lag (kind of like overhead strike) used against sleeping opponents ie... You raise a jagged sword to Resatimms throat as he sleeps. *One round lag*
You're slash <<<ANNIHILATES>>> Resatimm.
Resatimm wakes and stands up...

Obviously not that much damage and not to Resatimm... but more kind of like an aimed blow, maybe a special command for it...

As far as movement cost increased while encumbered, I like it and it makes sense but that would in the end punish dark knights and pallys the most since they'll want heavier armors for holy armor etc. What I could see happening if this were implemented is those who played those classes would first complain about it then those two classes would never be played.

I can't really come up with new ideas for pk strategy, there seems to be an ongoing issue with gangbangs, the only solution I can come up with is give bonuses somehow to people fighting multiple people at once. As far as things I would like to see in the game goes, I would like to see the "raid areas" more like dungeons in other games ie there are traps here, in order to progress past this room you need to find a hidden lever or successfully answer a riddle or question about Thera's history....

You have a well written history/story for Thera, but there are no bonuses for knowing it aside from letting people know you've been playing the game for a while. It seems like all this time and energy was spent on writing it but then we all just ignore it. I'm going to bring up wow for a second. Blah blah blah alliance area, all this plot regarding defias whatever, and its actually decent, but then it just turns into kill these mobs, collect these items... I kind of feel like when ranking we're just killing random mobs to gain levels, there's nothing like Fire giant militia's trying to hold of the vile horde of... brownies in Emerald. We're just killing stuff and its pointless (with the exception of ranking). Maybe I've put too much thought into this however. Yes this is a pk mud, but its rp too, and there should be a reason to rp aside from "because dav says so"...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
gomer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Dying at one's temple... the whole I am probably gonna die so I will run to my temple so I wont lose my gear or I will only fight at my temple just in case...

Basically if you die in front of your priest then your corpse should be destroyed and your gear spread across the world. If you die in the vacinity of your temple you should be penalized by a lag;

die within 1 room - 10 second lag
die within 5 rooms - xxx second lag

This should allow people who successfully PK to be rewarded by being able to loot their victim. And also keep people from hording gear as much.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the movement issue.

For victims of pk attacks, if they run immediately (flee) and not stay a few rounds to see what they can do or re-engage, they could gain a passive skill similar to the bard skill brawl and basically knock stuff over behind them as they run in an attempt to slow their attacker and get away or at least regroup and prepare.

The things they knock over would at least increase movement cost through rooms with debris and in rare cases cause an injury 'sprained ankle' or whatever, basically a hobble or a duration of movement penalty similar to sneak without actually sneaking.

^^ would help new players out

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

movement again

when ever people screw up and ee or run a direction they cant go, instead of just seeing 'tries to run to fast and stumbles' they could fall and hit their head, similar to fleeing while dirted.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Movement again

To somewhat even out the effectiveness of flying potions or spells.

Initiating with 'Murder' or 'Kill' commands would suffer a lag PRIOR to the attack if under the effects of flying, reasoning is they are flying they have to get to their victim. Opening with 'Charge' or a spell wouldnt suffer from a lag.

Flying through a wooded areas or indoors could possible negate the effect of flying due to hitting ceiling or trees. By negate I mean normal non-flying movement cost not dispeling the spell.

Making flying a double edge sword.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Scent of Blood' for the aggressors - if you get your victim to pretty hurt or awful condition, your 'senses' improve and your movement cost decrease or you possibly attempt to prevent them from fleeing... warrior class could simply move infront of them, casters could use a spell to block an exit (something passive added to spells not a new confinement type spell) or someone with pets could have their pets block exits, all these would be a % of success and fail.

I have more if I can figure out how to expain them.

0 0 0
wudst

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Someone who runs to their temple in a last ditch effort to save their stuff is a noobie. they are saying "I dont know how to run from this guy, and I dont want to lose all my stuff..." Assisting a decent tracker to full loot or loot really at all a newer player is in my mind, not a good idea. This argument is of course assuming that someone who runs to their temple to die is a noob... When in actuality it probably is abused every once in awhile by a player of good standing. However, this will hurt more noobs than it will help against lame better players.

Running immediately and having things thrown in the way of their attacker is beefing up an already good plan. I very rarely get attacked unexpectedly and immediately engage again. I give myself time to prep, get out weapons usually, put up spells, pull out purples, set alias'. There is no need to beef up an already good tactic.

people pressing ee and falling over - I like this. It would force players to know the map better, and in turn would help in the skill level of the whole player base. I personally have gotten quite lazy in the last year or so, not memorizing the newer areas. Some areas still take me two times longer to run through then they should, and that would be fixed immediately if it made it take four times as long. I can see a big issue with fleeing blind however. You are already pretty fucked. Saying you cant mess up in your attempts to run around is asking alot out of someone. That would make blindness the best skill ever. So I think I revoke my stamp of approval.

Flying scrolls dont need to be even'd out in my opinion. It already is a partial issue for those who really really can abuse it, and thats warriors. (potions of course.)

'scent of blood' - Hell no. I can see it. Gang of three tries to nail someone, 1 round them to pretty hurt. Lets help them keep the kill by having three attempts to prevent fleeing (and cause some sort of flee lag one can only assume). I like the idea for a specific class (probably warrior side) that needs a bit of a beefing, but certainly not a mass change for every class. That would be silly.

0 0 0
rabidgecko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject:

I really really don't see why everyone is complaining about gangbanging, and suggesting skills that even up 1v2 or 1v3 fights. That's part of the game... if you don't have allies, then you've made your choices in such a way that it ended up like that. Uncaballed can easily run away from groups, and caballed characters knew that when they signed up for it. Bottom line - 1 guy vs 2 guys should always be a very tough, if not impossible, fight.

0 0 0
gomer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject:

an anti-gangbanging measure

anyone affected by pk adrenaline can not have followers or follow others for an extended period of time.

'xxxx movements are too eradic for you to keep up' for people trying to follow you.

you could still group and rank but each player would have to move, stalk or run on their own.

this would basically break up the duos or trios of a good stalker leading with putz's in tow spamming murder and force everyone to learn the areas. it would also break up the out of pk assistance if people still do that and deter the lowbie vultures.

------------------------------------------------------------

change corpse looting so that only people in your PK range can loot your corpse. that way their would be consequences for looting

0 0 0
wudst

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject:

Gecko. Lets say someone fucked up assassinate, and it was a 100% no fail skill.

You are going to complain? Its part of the game!!

Saying its part of the game is exactly how the catholic church has been holding back the entire world for so long. People who use excuses like that should probably just go die.

Provide a VALID reason, if you please.

I say that some measure for killing the gangbanging should be taken. Cabals have cabal chat, so they have a "we are seperated but need to still kill a different group of people" tool. People who arent in cabals shouldnt have the tool since they shouldnt be ganging, and if they try should be influenced negatively. I dont think ganging should be against the code. I think it shouldnt be a 1v2 fight, and you give the other team 2 players AND you give them say... Pips tracking and my spamming the shit. You give pip, a fantastic tracker, an automatic attack function just because they are grouped together. We are not just multiplying the people you have to fight, we are exponentially increasing their abilities and skills. I like ganging. I like fighting a set of people. I think right now its pretty stacked however. More than it naturally comes to be.

I disagree with the concept of seperating the group with pk adren. I think 50 only due to ranking issues. Someone comes in, attacks the tank, gets shafted, other players have to wait 10 mins for adren to go away = gay. Im pretty sure looting is pk adren too... Also lame.

0 0 0
rabidgecko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject:

I'm saying that one guy shouldn't be able to beat 2 guys very easily. The game would suck without gangbangs.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject:

rabidgecko wrote:
I'm saying that one guy shouldn't be able to beat 2 guys very easily. The game would suck without gangbangs.

Somehow I think people learning to fucking fight for themselves before they join a circlejerk would make this game better.

0 0 0
wudst

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject:

Erlwith, I assume you are a at least a fairly decent player. Someone who sucks wouldnt be as avid that his opinions are accurate.

If this is the case one would also assume that you have joined a cabal.

Every cabal is based around two things.

1) Cabal item (which influences ganging on a negative end of the cabal who is lacking their item)

2) Cabal code/morals. This DEMANDS ganging from three of the "elite" organizations in the mud.

Ganging is in the code, sir, and if you dont like it I suggest you find another mud. I think its pretty clear that Dav likes the aspect of ganging but wants it in a more... skilled style.

Being completely tight on your perspective of "gangings bad blah blah blah" is not helping anyone think about anything, nor is it influencing your reputation as anything but being a whiney bitch.

The idea is we make it good to gang bang. We make it on our terms. We make it fit our mud. Right now, I dont think it does. I suggest you begin thinking with the rest of us how to fix that, rather than being so stringent with your views.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject:

Quote:

1) Cabal item (which influences ganging on a negative end of the cabal who is lacking their item)
2) Cabal code/morals. This DEMANDS ganging from three of the "elite" organizations in the mud.
Ganging is in the code, sir, and if you dont like it I suggest you find another mud.

WTF are you talking about you crackhead.

The more people you take to invade a cabal, the more difficult the guardian becomes, if that's ganging being "in the code" than ...well...

No cabal "code/morals" requires gangbangs of any sort.

I don't have a problem with team kills. But when 4 and 5 people invade your cabal and just end up running and dying a few minutes later, hoping to get lucky eventually, they clearly need to be fighting solo and not in groups so they learn how to fight. What's the point of shit like that, it can't be that much fun to lose and it isn't a whole lot of fun wasting potions and shit smacking scrubs around.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject:

Nofollow with pk adrenaline wouldn't work, example. You're in a group with a wild smash happy berserker, mob dies, berserker accidentally smashes you. You both get pk adrenaline, so now not only are you unable to use repulsion/restoration potions, but you can't group until pk adrenaline goes away.

A lot of the implemented and proposed changes seem to be for the purpose of forcing people to have quicker battles. No more of this skirmish, shit I'm losing, retreat, attack, losing... Retreat... Bullshit which I am probably the most guilty of. One of two things are gonna happen here. People are going to complain and dav will tell them to suck it up, and they either will and get better, or quit. So Gangbangs are a fact of mud as much as they are a fact of life... Lol...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
gomer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject:

I didnt say you couldnt group, just that you couldnt follow or have someone follow you if you had pk adrenaline.

Meaning the 'tank' in a group has pk adrenaline, you can still group with him but when he goes east you have to manually type east to keep up with him, he wouldnt drag you along with him.

In a group PK situation, everyone would need to learn to track and the areas to keep up with the fight, the whole I will track him down you just spam murder to catch him thing is kinda retarded unless everyone is sharing a mount or the tracker is carrying people on his back.

0 0 0
wudst

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject:

And again, I suggested a 50 only imp for the breaking up the group.

Sure there will be those times where it screws with a winter group or something, but I think it would be worth the lame to break up the leading 3 people around thing.

Erlwith. If someone is wanted and there are three justices on... What do the justices do?

If another cabal has your item, you invade, and there are three of them on... What does the other cabal do?

If you are an Anathema, and there are three Knights on... What do the Knights do?

In the code bub.

And I really cant believe you are irritated with the people dying when they TRY to gang. Who complains about people being idiots and killing themselves? Not I.

0 0 0
Dispater

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
I've dicked around with movement speed before on the testport so I have seen the impact it has in game to move faster (or slower) than your opponent. So I would not like to be coupling it with weight burdening . But there are a few other ways it can be interesting to toy with.

I know a mud where's a specific movement delay system to compensate for someone's shitty ping. Eg. everyone's moving on equal speed as the server checks for client's latency and then accordingly adjust's movement delay or reducement. I think it's great if a mud has a lot of EU and NA players.

I would play AR again just for the sake of it, if you would implement this:P You do remember how godlike tracker i was with my 250ms? Imagine that with equal link speed! People would nerdrage day by day and i would be rubbing my hands and laughing like an evil psycho.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject:

All the ping in the world won't make you better at pvp mico.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Pertaining to gangbanging:

Quote:
That's part of the game... if you don't have allies, then you've made your choices in such a way that it ended up like that. Uncaballed can easily run away from groups, and caballed characters knew that when they signed up for it.

Very good point by gecko.

Quote:
Erlwith. If someone is wanted and there are three justices on... What do the justices do?

They hunt him down and apprehend him. Justice is different from the other cabals in that they provide a safe haven for everybody (especially newbies). Someone can only ever get wanted by their very own actions. No one can buy a wanted flag on you and you can't become wanted for no reason. If you are wanted it's because you did something you aren't supposed to in the major city of Thera while there was a protector of the peace about. It only makes sense that justice would seek to gang you into oblivion to punish you for your actions. Knowing that they will go to any extent to apprehend you should be a deterrent to others.

Quote:
If another cabal has your item, you invade, and there are three of them on... What does the other cabal do?

They will try to beat you down and pick your corpse. It just sucks that you log on with 3 of them there while they have your item. Happens to everybody.

Dumb move: Run straight at the guardian and die while trying to kill it.

Smart move: Run at the guardian, work him down, but when the 3 come to defend you break off from the guardian and start skirmishing with them. If they aren't grouped you can run away and only fight the best tracker of the three.

What about asking for help from allies you have made during your travels? If you don't have any allies, why is that? Did you not want allies because you roleplay a lone wolf? Did you lack the foresight to see that you might need them in the future because of this very circumstance?

Quote:
If you are an Anathema, and there are three Knights on... What do the Knights do?

I will assume since you didn't mention legion that you are lumping them in here (i.e. anathema = contract).

What happens here soley depends upon the executor/forsaken and what his vision is for Knights/Legion. A leader who is trying to go for skill over numbers would have a decree that any anathema/contract be fought by only one knight at a time unless they invade. This could be a blanket rule but there could be exceptions (i.e. people constantly anathema/contracted or known gangbangers/hoarders/etc or people who are actually so strong that no one can kill them 1v1).

It is fully within their power to say 'flag = gangbang'. Even if that's the case, individual members can choose to fight 1v1 (unless the leader has directly ordered up a HGOD).

Just because gangbanging is a choice, doesn't mean it's a certainty and it doesn't mean everyone will do it whenever the opportunity presents itself. Whether or not one gangbangs depends on the player (i.e. am I good enough to fight 1v1 or do I need numbers) and the roleplay of their character (are you a badass who fights 1v1, are you a coward who always has a group).

Learning how to deal with gangbangs (i.e. splitting the group, forming alliances, etc) is just another facet of playerkilling in AR. So yes, it is valid to say that gangbanging IS a part of the game.

P.S.

Quote:
I suggest you begin thinking with the rest of us how to fix that, rather than being so stringent with your views.

Rest of us? You and Gomer? I didn't realize two people constituted 'the rest of the playerbase'. We can't be hurting that bad...

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: