Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 10 hours.

Question: Pyramid of Force
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zurcon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Question: Pyramid of Force

I've heard that this spell surpasses sanctuary in terms of "defense". Obviously, only psionics get it. With only parry and hand to hand at my disposal, I was hoping that this would be drastically better than sanctuary.

Turns out that I can't really detect any substantial difference between sanctuary and pyramid of force at my level (24). Does this spell get better with levels or something? I haven't seen any evidence of psionic skills which progressively get better.

0 0 0
Seryie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject:

In my opinion it is just sanctuary, but I may well be wrong..the higher level you get the more hours the spell lasts, unsure about it getting stronger though.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
zurcon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject:

So it should probably be toned up.

0 0 0
a ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject:

One would think...

0 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject:

You monkeys, I've tanked rangers at 28 with a psionicist before. Pyramid doesnt need toned up. Psionicists are a royal pain in the ass to kill considering how much they resist damage and avoid lag. I mean, I still managed back in the day, but if you get pked using a psionicist, you suck.

0 0 0
Seryie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Yea, it's a little to easy to get away you get in any trouble, just fle;foc 'phase shift'.. they are fine the way they are...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
zurcon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Astinor wrote:
You monkeys, I've tanked rangers at 28 with a psionicist before. Pyramid doesnt need toned up. Psionicists are a royal pain in the ass to kill considering how much they resist damage and avoid lag. I mean, I still managed back in the day, but if you get pked using a psionicist, you suck.

* According to popular opinion, they don't resist damage any better than anyone else.

* Bio Feedback is progged on an item I found in my first week of playing.

* They avoid lag as well as any other mage, just in a different way.

Therefore:
They are no more a royal pain in the ass to kill than another mage.
You have no point.

Admittedly, the verdict is still out (I need more levels). So far, psionics are just weaker mages. If pyramid of force were as cool as it sounded, then atleast psionics would have a bit of a "damage reduction" niche.

0 0 0
Mendek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Psi get the best defense weapon in the game coupled with the highest AC boosting spells plus displacement which works like an extra defense. Psi are buff, they're just a pain in the ass to rank.

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject:

A level 22-ish ilithid psi, tanking in emerald...was getting grazed-maimed with bio feedback and pyramid of force up....Stop whining.

0 0 0
Addreodyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject:

As far as I can tell Pyramid of Force is no better than Sanctuary, and rightly so. Also, iron will is very different than pro shield...I guess I shouldn't reveal too much but it's better in some ways and worse in others. You are somewhat right, zurcon, psis do suck compared to other classes, especially at 50. They do have a few ranks where they are powerful offensively, and they are very powerful defensively as early as rank 22. It's all about how you like to play.
Some of the most annoying criminals for my Justice (also a psi) to hunt down were psionicists...
You can't do much but dispel each other and beat with your sticks. Plus, rank 50 special guard does about a graze or a hit to a psi.

-Addreodyn

PS. I'll send you my psi essay if you want.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject:

Displacement.

0 0 0
jaran
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Oh god... yeah like Psi's need better pyramid... hahaha I could laugh my arse off at that one, but I wont.

Have you played one?

Jesus.

0 0 0
zurcon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Yea, please send your psi essay to
christopher_kozura@umit.maine.edu

0 0 0
zurcon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Balaks wrote:
Oh god... yeah like Psi's need better pyramid... hahaha I could laugh my arse off at that one, but I wont.

Have you played one?

Jesus.

Have you? Because it's a lot of fun

Being 90% useless in leveling.
+No one wants to group with you.

Requiring 4 tries to land "psychic purge" on someone -4 levels than you in full hit dam gear.
+And only having enough hps to stay in the fight 2 rounds
+And all you wear is +hp gear.
+You convert practices and put all trains into hp.

Blasting someone @level for a mauls with psionic blast through no protection, no sanc, and full hit dam gear.

Conceding that even darkknights have way better damage reduction than you do.

Taking 2-3 DISEMBOWELS through bio feedback, flesh armor, displacement, and pyramid because you're vuln slash Wink This from someone a couple levels your minor.

0 0 0
jaran
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject:

I have played one actually.

Quote:
Being 90% useless in leveling.
+No one wants to group with you.

I admit leveling is a pain - deal with it.

Quote:
Requiring 4 tries to land "psychic purge" on someone -4 levels than you in full hit dam gear.
+And only having enough hps to stay in the fight 2 rounds
+And all you wear is +hp gear.
+You convert practices and put all trains into hp.

Purge can be difficult to land (although the whole -4 levels in full hit dam gear is a tad exaggerated) - however, it IS a very powerful and beneficial spel once landed - therefore it would be unbalanced to make it easy to land. Anyway, you have enough defensive capability to be able to stay in a fight long enough to land it (against most classes).

Only have enough HP's to stay 2 rounds? Ever though about gathering some +HP eq? Have you mastered parry? Ever tried fleeing and reinitiating with a purge, instead of just standing toe to toe with an enemy?

All you wear is +HP gear - have you ever played any other types of mages? Mages need HP and saves - fact. Deal with it.

You convert all pracs into training HP - by default you are most likely to have an intelligent race = one or two pracs max for most spells = lots of free pracs (if you are smart and only prac the spells you are likely to use) = lots of trains for HP = decent HP for a mage = what on earth is your problem with this?

Quote:
Blasting someone @level for a mauls with psionic blast through no protection, no sanc, and full hit dam gear.

Ok, this may be tricky to understand.... but I'm sorry your going to have to accept that for the most part, you aint gonna be outdamaging anybody - once you accept this, you can start to think about what you CAN do. A Psi is by far the most defensive of all mages - you win a battle by wearing down your opponent, not by acid blasting/trippping, bashing/slashing with illusions or by hellfiring an opponent. Battles with a psi are long and the winner is the person with the experience to know when it is time to keep fighting and when it is time to flee, rest and return ASAP to battle.
It may seem impossible, but I can assure you, you can defeat almost anybody in AR with a Psi if you are quick, clever and know exactly what your doing (the same can be said of most classes in AR).

Quote:
Conceding that even darkknights have way better damage reduction than you do.

I'm not sure how you figure this one out.... DK's rely on potions and wands BIG TIME - as should you. If your clever and use all of the potions/scrolls and wands available to you in addition to a psi's already formidible defensive abilities you will be VASTLY better at reducing damage than a DK. Have you ever even tried using a protection scroll?

Quote:
Taking 2-3 DISEMBOWELS through bio feedback, flesh armor, displacement, and pyramid because you're vuln slash This from someone a couple levels your minor.

Ever thought of playing a Drow...? Or a Human? If your not happy with the Slashing Vuln, dont play an illithid. Simple as that - although at 50 it doesnt make as much difference really - unless your fighting a dual slashing weapon wielding fire berserker played by somebody who knows how to fight. Even then, you can escape easily and try again when he least expects it.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Mages are weak at lower levels? Shocking!

Playing a level 27 psi is very different from playing a level 50 psi. You're better off with a different class if you're going to be making comparisons at such low levels.

Mysteriously, there have been psis in the past who did well enough for themselves, and not play the class as though it were the complete exercise in futility that you depict.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Playing a level 27 psi is very different from playing a level 50 psi.

Exactly what I was trying to say earlier...

Zurcon, through no fault of your own, you've stumbled onto one of the (dare I say) worst possible race/class combos for someone that's new to AR. If you have the luck/patience to rank this character to 50, you'll (hopefully) find a bit more balance in the spells and gameplay mechanics of a psionicist, but until then you're probably going to be continuously disappointed.

My advice for now is to put the brakes on this character, start up another one that'll be a bit easier to find groups with (avian healer, drow shaman, fire giant berserker, etc.) and play around some more. Don't let your view of the game be tainted by one class whose faults are already well-known to the game implementors. It does get better than illithid psis.

0 0 0
Cartman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject:

Yeah man. You just gotta take your time, patience is a BIG virtue with mages. If I'm thinkin right, Psi's get staves no? There are alot of staves/potions that cure crit, scrolls that do three cure lights, on top of that, you have psychic healing, which is 75 hp for two ticks wait, which may not sound like alot, but it is, I cannot count how many times I have come out of a fight with less than 100 hp, but yeah, like everyone said, play a Healer, perfectly noob friendly. Just keep protective shield and fly up, you'll live forever.

0 0 0
b00mslang

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Though I disagree with some of Zurcon's details regarding to psis, it still seems that psis can't do shit at 50, or for that matter, 40, or 30.

By those ranks, everyone with have an ounce of a brain knows to use purples, and once they use purples and wear a couple pieces of red steel, the psi is just done.

Psis know shit for weapons and only have one defense, just like other mages. However, unlike other mages, they have no uber offense like three hasted dirting bashing tritons or 6 golems/zombies/mercs fighting alonside them.

Yes, while they also have the benefit of pyramid and biofeedback, other mages, if their smart, will be constantly sanced, and additionally protected against half their enemies with opposite alignments.

Furthermore, when fighting a psi, its only necessary to protect against one form of spells - mental. While maledictive saves can help against sleep, the sleep won't help the psi much since the only way he can win is with psionic blasts, a mental spell. Thus, unlike other mages, from which you have to protect against mal/aff/men(for necros), and aff/men(for invokers and illusionists), players fighting psis can get more total saves against psis while not having to drop as much equipment for the wide range of saves required against other mages. While you could argue that you only need mental for illusionists, getting -80 mental stil won't save you from three hasted lagging, dirting, dups.

So, let's see what we've got so far -
Psi's have defensive capabilities that are a little better than smart mages.
Psi's have shit for offense until they land psychic purge, after which the damage is still less than an invoker's hellstream/necro's or ill's charmies.
By the time the psi lands psychic purge, they are going to be much more hurt relative to their enemy than an invoker, or necro, or illusionist.

Also, in response to the last post, it doesn't do much to phase shift away, sleep a few ticks, and come back. 1 - Because even a lvl 50 purge doesn't last all that long(I won't specify how long), by the time they come back, its very possible that purge has worn off, and so they'll have to spend many rounds of combat being beaten down while trying to land purge and doing no damage whatsoever in the meantime. Furthermore, the idea of fleeing and initiating with purge is pretty damn stupid, since purge is a one round lag spell, it doesn't reduce the time spent in battle. Furthermore, since purge isn't an afflictive spell(or a spell that does damage), the enemy gets a couple of free whacks at your head upon trying to purge(a la Resatimm).

Basically, because at the higher levels, everyone is smart enough to use purples and scrolls and stuff, the psi's pyramid of force spell is only good in that the psi will not be caught off guard without it. But during battle, it's canceled out by the enemy's constant sanc. While the other defensive spells put the psionicist's defense above many other classes, its offense is nothing compared to another mage, warrior, or shaman.

Though I myself have never played a psi, I have fought many psis, both abyssal, illithid, elf, and drow. None of them have been able to really come out on top in any battle against a prepared me, and most of the time I'm purposefully running around without sanc, fleeing on wimpy to lure them to continue battle so I can kill them.

While I feel that psis are pretty horrible killers at the higher ranks, it still has some appeal for certain types of players.

1 - Its a largely independant class(no having to get dups, zombies, charmies(who turn on you and bash you to death while linkdead), no having to stock up on purples...etc)
2 - Its quite easy to stay alive as a psi(constant excellent defense, unlaggable, uncursable/unblindable/unstoppable/extremelyannoying phase shift)
3 - Clairvoyance(just a really cool spell)

While everything I said seems pretty logical to me, I'm still perplexed by assassins like Jerjectiga killing everyone at 50 - it just doesn't make sense!

Or maybe dav could make a psi...and show us how its done. Twisted Evil

0 0 0
Seryie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject:

I'll say it now, they are not unlaggable. Iron will has a chance to stop the lag attack. and if it fails your a goner. I know becuase well. bleh.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: