Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 10 hours.

Betting in the arena

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Betting in the arena

So Mandor's comment on the Warlord thread gave me an idea. He said that having warlords would stimulate the betting for the arena. The way it works now is kind of a joke in that if someone bets 1000 gold on X and someone else bets 1 gold on Y, and Y wins, the person nets like 1000% profit.

My suggestion would be to have a mob at the entrance of the arena that is the certified bookie that deals with all the bets and that every duel should have specific odds on each fighter who duels past 36 so that even if there's one spectator, he can gain profit. Since the ratings system is number based, this should make it relatively easy to make odds.

Say there's a dude with a 1800 rating and a dude with 900 rating. Payoff should be something like 2:1 for the higher guy and I don't know how to figure out the odds for the lower guy. This would definitely stimulate betting on arena fights. Each bet would be processed individually rather than the current pooling that happens now.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject:

not exactly warlords but a warlord like cabal thats more gladiator based, i.e. using the arena as a means of both entertainment and having special perks to slaughter in the arena with.

edit: and I approve of your idea.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject:

Arena/duelling group is interesting, including some limited powers (more so if confined to arena), but fits best as a coterie IMO.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject:

The bad thing would be when a spectator has an agreement with the guy who has the higher rating, bets 400,000, agrees to split the earnings with the higher ranking guy who takes a fall. I think that is why it is the way it is. A fast and easy adjustment would be, in the case of erg's example, just give the guy who bet 1 coin 1 coin back. If one guy bets 2,000 and one guy bets 1,000, whoever wins gets what they bet.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Stiehl26 wrote:
If one guy bets 2,000 and one guy bets 1,000, whoever wins gets what they bet.

So if I bet 2k, you bet 1k, and I win, I get 4k back (2k from my bet + 2k to match it)?

2k + 1k = 3k, - 4k (winnings) = -1k

Where's that extra 1k coming from? Seringale's tax surplus?

Stiehl26 wrote:
The bad thing would be when a spectator has an agreement with the guy who has the higher rating, bets 400,000, agrees to split the earnings with the higher ranking guy who takes a fall.

Going along the same line of thinking, with your idea above, what's to stop someone from betting 500k on a fight, one guy throwing a fight, and all 4 involved (2 fighters, 2 bettors) splitting the extra 125k apiece afterward (repeat, repeat...)?

There's a reason for the betting system working the way it does.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Vhrael wrote:
Stiehl26 wrote:
If one guy bets 2,000 and one guy bets 1,000, whoever wins gets what they bet.

So if I bet 2k, you bet 1k, and I win, I get 4k back (2k from my bet + 2k to match it)?

2k + 1k = 3k, - 4k (winnings) = -1k

Where's that extra 1k coming from? Seringale's tax surplus?

Stiehl26 wrote:
The bad thing would be when a spectator has an agreement with the guy who has the higher rating, bets 400,000, agrees to split the earnings with the higher ranking guy who takes a fall.

Going along the same line of thinking, with your idea above, what's to stop someone from betting 500k on a fight, one guy throwing a fight, and all 4 involved (2 fighters, 2 bettors) splitting the extra 125k apiece afterward (repeat, repeat...)?

There's a reason for the betting system working the way it does.

You could cap the max bets at 1000 gold or something moderate to prevent people from abusing the system too much and put limits on how often someone could bet per day.

I'm just thinking of ways to get more betting going. I really don't see that much of it when people fight in the arenas partly because you need more than just one person to bet. If you could have a chance to make some gold by picking a winner by yourself, I think we would see a bit more betting on arena duels.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject:

You could also treat that sort of situation like a real life situation and have them banned from betting. Could even make the head of the coterie have the ability to ban individuals from betting, but with the emphasis on "We want you to spend money here and watch us duke it out."

Perhaps the system in which the gambling occurs could pay the coterie a small percentage, making it worth their while to promote and come up with new and more exciting games. Working with the imms to put man versus beast, with a reward to the man who beats the beastie. Or that 2v2 games idea that sprouted up a month or two ago.

[Edit] Sorry, a bit of that above doesn't stress what I wanted to point out.

It would seem a better idea to make it so the only way to BET in the sense of the warlords Coterie is if one of them is present. So if people get caught throwing fights, they get banned from gambling with the Coterie.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: