Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 11 hours.

Legion nerfed
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AcidAngel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Legion nerfed

Legion just got nerfed because of forum complaints of Legion "Gangbangs". The new definition of gangbang, btw, is apparently something similar to: "Quexis sanced soinso."
The change made was to the markings, part III, and entails the following:

Formerly (and maybe even for a day or two more, but not for long) the markings under part 3 of the pact read, in part, as follows:

Quote:
Fear is not spread by the success of incompetent
group battles, so make sure that you face others alone, and often.

The word "alone" in there will now be changed to "unaided"

Additionally there has been a new addendum made to part 3 of the pact which reads as follows:

Quote:
The following examples all count as group warfare for Legions:
* "tag-teaming", taking it in turns to attack an opponent
* being grouped to launch an attack together against any non-Legions
* "spelling up" other cabal members to fight

Now Davairus has justified these changes as 'mere clarifications' of what was already in the pact. Language makes things so easy to manipulate, and Davairus loves to do that, but don't be fooled into thinking that changing a word here, and adding a few 'examples' there is just a clarification. The truth is, changing that word totally changed Legion.

Everybody get this straight right now, i'm not whining about my char being suddenly gimped by these rules, I stand to lose the very least of anyone in the cabal by it. What I am voicing is that subtle changes in the semantics of rules (cabal or game) are not subtle at all but are very large changes to gameplay. It is easy to pretend they are just 'clarifications' but slowly, one thing at a time, the game will become more and more steeped in such subtle rules. That is my main concern.

I argue the following and want to hear LEGION's reply:
The nerfing of legionairres to disallow their assistance of each other in offensive situations is not justified by our cabal skills. The argument against my point is "legion has the most skilled players, so it does make it fair"
While it is true that Legion has several highly skilled players right now, it is NOT true that the granting of a spell in passing is a gangbang.

Members of Legion: If you agree with me, it's ok to say it. I am living proof that Davairus will not gimp or deny your character for voicing your opinion. So legion members please respond here if you agree, or if you think i'm way off. There are no in game repercussions for disagreeing with an immortal decision in your reply here.
The rest of you mortals: Whoever decides to flame this first, I ask that you please be respectful enough to start a new thread to flame this one, I really want to see what the people who currently play legion think about this first and foremost. All of you who whined about legion need to understand this as well... Even though your whining did get legion nerfed for the time being, that doesn't change the fact that the people who complain that they got pk'd will still get pk'd by the people who get nerfed by the addendums to protect the weak.

Legions... give me some 'right-ons' or some 'ur dumbs' on this.

0 0 0
Hamp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject:

My view on this new Legion rules, is that I'd rather join Assassins or Warlords, for they get about ten times better the skills then Legion does. If a Legion can't get a haste here or a sanc there from their other members then why play a Legion. Yes you can kill people yourself but they can get those spells, or if not they have a ton of better cabal skills to fall upon. Legion isn't meant to have honor and all that crap, if it was that way just call us another Warlord cabal but with gimped cabal spells. It is true that not alot of Legionairres have been fighting by themselves but who else is when we fight. We're not going around slaying people four on one or even three on one, worst case senario is about two on one now and that doesn't happen that much or I just haven't been seeing it. Half the time we're just running around hasted or sanced by one of our cabal mates and they don't even fight. If Legion can't have other people spelling us up then we should be allowed better cabal skills than we have because half are pointless. We have two spells that are actually useful. Others no one uses, I won't get into our spells on the forum but I'm sure other Legions will agree.

0 0 0
E-ant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject:

but... but... thats just plain retarded...
I thought the no-ganging rule was a bit too harsh and now its no aiding... Just take away cabal chat, ranks and all the cabal skills while at it... which means no cabal. Legions must be following mystics way out of the game.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject:

you know that instead of making this an in game and inner issue within legions/imms with notes, but rather by posting your markings on the forum.. you just effectively made things harder for yourself and for your cabal mates right?

anyhow the hardest part about managing legions is making the players want to become the strongest (without aid from other legions) without writing specific rules against that kinda thing. this must have been a much deliberated change to up the ante with your decision to join legions. join legions not for the cabal skills, not for the free hastes and sancs.. but join to be outnumbered at times and have a cabal to defend. whether it raises or deflates the cabal's popularity remains to be seen.

i personally think the no spell assistance is rough, but manageable. you may think legions are gimped, but does the pk record reflect that? how many legions have died compared to the knights? you should think about that.

0 0 0
b00mslang

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject:

1. Legions get by far the worst cabal skills of any real cabal while still having the obligation to defend their cabal.
2. Legions now have to fight alone.

In that way, I feel that dav is relying on the fact that legions are 'meant' to be the cream of the crop and thus they shouldn't get any good skills while still having rules and obligations to follow.

While if Legion continues to achieve success with these rules/obligations and sucky cabal skills, it will all the more make obvious their skill, this really makes Legion seem more like a cabal to challenge yourself with rather than another fun cabal to play.

I dunno, though I myself would rather simply replace the obligation to fight alone to pressuring legions to fight alone, I can see the logic behind dav's changes, or, rather, 'clarifications'

As for Hamp's idea of wanting to play an assassin or warlord, I still feel that warlord is too different to compare, while assassins can gimp you much easier than legion can.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Oh darn

Now you cant go get haste so you can easily nuke some schmo who has some nice rares.

You are supposed to be a group of thugs one upping each other in the method and sheer power you exert over other people

If you want to stand on the backs of others for your sucesses, go be a physicist or something

Legion have had it good for so long. In the past, who can stand before a hasted and sanced warrior/thief/ninja/berzerker

Now you guys have to earn your victories, which is the way it should be.

0 0 0
AcidAngel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Yes I knew that bringing it to the forum would entice every non legion to log every interaction we have to try to catch us messing up. You might be able to guess that this was davairus's idea, not mine. I understood the downside to making it public before I posted. I just don't care. I can play with my cards on the table. I knew that by taking it to the forum davairus would have the hand full of ass-kissers that dwell here, like you louis vying for an imm slot in every way possible, to back him up. I expected that. Lets call a spade a spade. People like that will try to sound informed and helpful while strategically agreeing with the imm, typical and predictable.
As far as the pk record is concerned... knights? We're talking about a real cabal here, not a newbie cabal so the pk record of legion will always reflect dominance. Knights are in no way comparable to players that can hack it in legion.

0 0 0
Hamp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject:

If you thought we had it so easy for so long, then why not do anything about it when you held control for so many years over Legion? That and it is alot easier for you because unlike other people your good with Necro's. Who can't hack it if your that good with a necro. Warriors are alot harder to hold there own, well warrior types. Yes it can be done but shouldn't look down on it when you let it happen and played a class it is easier to deal with it.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The nerfing of legionairres to disallow their assistance of each other in offensive situations is not justified by our cabal skills.

If you're telling me that you can't PK without your cabal skills, then maybe you shouldn't be in Legion in the first place. Phrases like 'best of the best' and 'cream of the crop' apparently shouldn't be thrown around so much anymore if all of you are saying that you can't PK on your own without outside assistance.

How many players can PK just fine without cabal skills at all? Plenty. Add to that the not-so-bad-after-all skills that Legion gets (like ****** and *******), and if you're still having trouble PKing then I don't see how you made it into Legion in the first place.

Quote:
While it is true that Legion has several highly skilled players right now, it is NOT true that the granting of a spell in passing is a gangbang.

That's not what Dav's saying. "Granting of a spell in passing" is a loosely worded interpretation of "spelling up a cabalmate 'cuz you know they're about to whoop up on <insert victim name>." There's never a situation of:

Quote:
Legion 1 says 'Hey, how ya doin?'
Legion 2 says 'Good, good. Say, I feel like casting haste on you for the hell of it.'
Legion 1 says 'Okay, sounds great. Thanks buddy.'

If you're casting spells like haste and sanctuary on someone, it's either because a) you're ranking, b) they're getting hunted, or c) they're going to attempt to PK someone. There's no "in passing" about it in my opinion.

I'm not trying to rail on anybody, just trying to point out the obvious. Yes, this makes things a bit more difficult, but when you're testing to get into Legion, you shouldn't have people spelling you up. Why should you when you're already in and have "proven" yourself?

0 0 0
AcidAngel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Res first. Let me bow down to how amazing bo was, lets see he excelled in rare hoarding and hiding in winter... great Legion. If you're going to criticize, maybe you should be able to hang first. That brings me to herald boy.
Quote:
If you're telling me that you can't PK without your cabal skills, then maybe you shouldn't be in Legion in the first place.

When did I say that? I said our cabal skills don't justify taking away spell granting. Reading comprehension isn't at 100% is it?

Quote:
if you're still having trouble PKing then I don't see how you made it into Legion in the first place.

I haven't seen a current legion have a problem pking anybody, you have no point whatsoever.

Quote:
That's not what Dav's saying.

I was there I know exactly what dav was saying, unlike you who can only go by what has been posted here, and dav didn't post anything before you did. Keep speculating herald.

You folks need to take a second and read what I wrote before you start figuring out how to kiss ass. The legion is the ARMY of darkness. What does the word legion indicate? Numbers, perhaps a hoarde. When one of us shows up on your ass I bet it feels like a gang bang, but it isn't. An army coordinates to work together to best achieve the goals of the unit through the work and strategic usage of its individuals. Legion is not an assassin training camp. It is the army of darkness. You want to make an assassin training camp, make something new, don't just hack a good cabal up and paste it back to make it gentler on the weak.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Keep in mind that I am an Immortal, not an Implementor. You can ask any Immortal, I was pushing for changes to Legion long ago. When Knights got the buffed stallions, I wanted to completely get rid of the shadows just to prove that Legions dont need charmies to slaughter people.

0 0 0
Eldorian
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject:

From dictionary.com:

a·lone (adv.)
1. Without others: sang alone while the choir listened.
2. Without help: carried the suitcases alone.
3. Exclusively; only: The burden of proof rests on the prosecution alone.

Apparently guys like AcidAngel thought hasting each other and sancing each other right before a fight still counted as "alone". Davairus simply cleared it up.

0 0 0
b00mslang

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject:

to augment my previous post, I'm actually beginning to see a problem here:

1. Legions = PK cabal
2. Legions cannot PK with help
3. Legions are an organisation with cabal chat.

So why the hell is there even a cabal chat? So you can organize winter trips more easily? So you have another channel to auction your wears?

Right now, legion is basically turning into an assassin training camp. Whereas in assassins you get gimped for failing to kill your contract, in legion you get another chance. Yet the pk guidelines in both cabals are the same, ie no assisted combat.

Yes, while I understand that at the moment, Legion is owning everyone, and thus it might seem to others that legion has to be toned down, as Acid_Angel told me, that is a reactive way of dealing with things, which in this case makes no sense. If legion is too powerful, why don't vets start making warlords and knights?

I think Legions should remain the way it is. I loved Dav's changes when he first replaced Resatimm as cabal leader, since he began to really recognize those who fought alone and came out on top. But now actually going to enforce the unaided battle rule is a little over the top. As I said earlier, what's the point of having a pk-oriented cabal with cabal chat if you can't help each others in a regular battle?

It just seems that an aim to fight alone/unaided makes a lot more sense than an obligation to fight unaided.

Also, personally I don't think people not in legion or who have not had a legion char recently should really speak out in this post, because they don't know firsthand what dav is prepared to do and what its like following legion cabal rules.

Basically I'm saying the naivete and irrelevancy in Sebryn's post annoys the shit outta me.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject:

by the way, i've been giving some thought into this and figured something out. how do you promote infighting and power struggles in legion? cut off their treats.

a legion who can't get haste from an illusionist forsaken any time he wants.. suddenly has no more use to keep a weak illusionist forsaken around.. does he? muhhaahahahaha

although, i apologize for taking the cat out of the bag if i'm right.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Wow.

I listened to that entire bitch session you had, whining about semantics.

Cracked me up.

I let my record speak for itself when it comes to 'hanging as a legion'

I guess you think you rule because you are a drow shaman, which is almost impervious to anything. Try playing something with a weakness.

Hoarding winter rares? No, its called boredom. If you havent noticed, I dont play mortals anymore.

Personal attacks on me? That will get you nowhere.

0 0 0
Eldorian
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Let me see if I've learned how to use quotes correctly:

b00mslang wrote:
In that way, I feel that dav is relying on the fact that legions are 'meant' to be the cream of the crop and thus they shouldn't get any good skills while still having rules and obligations to follow.

While if Legion continues to achieve success with these rules/obligations and sucky cabal skills, it will all the more make obvious their skill, this really makes Legion seem more like a cabal to challenge yourself with rather than another fun cabal to play.

I dunno, though I myself would rather simply replace the obligation to fight alone to pressuring legions to fight alone, I can see the logic behind dav's changes, or, rather, 'clarifications'

You're sort of on the right track here. To me, it comes down to one of two scenarios:

1) The Legion in question (who's being helped out with haste, sanc, etc.) needs the help to win. In which case, why is he a Legion, if he can't hold his own in combat?
2) The Legion in question doesn't need the help to win. In which case, why put a question mark around the win by helping him?

In fact, with the latter scenario, I would go even stronger and to say that Legions shouldn't be allowed such help, in which case when and if they win, there is no question mark as to whether it was due to their skill or just because they got hasted/sanc/frenzied/healed/whatever have you.

Think about it. What sounds more intimidating, someone who can PK on his own virtue regardless of the circumstances, or someone who can PK as long as he gets a bunch of free spells from other guys? And how do you think people consider Legions when they know that if there is a shaman Legion on, any other Legion who are coming after them is automatically coming with a fresh sanc and frenzy; if there is an illusionist Legion on, any other Legion coming after them is automatically coming with a fresh haste; so forth and so on?

If you think that "a cabal to challenge yourself" is mutually exclusive from "another fun cabal to play" why bother playing a mud where the emphasis is on killing other characters controlled by thinking, improvising people? Why not just go play a 7 vs 1 comp Starcraft game?

The reason why it's being made explicitly clear now to be unaided is because it should've already been clear that "alone" means "alone" not "with another Legion with autoassist off following you around spelling you up", but some Legions decided to argue the latter as the definition.

AcidAngel wrote:
Knights are in no way comparable to players that can hack it in legion.

Yet apparently players that can hack it in Legion are complaining about not being able to get free spells like haste to help them in their PKs.

AcidAngel wrote:
I was there I know exactly what dav was saying, unlike you who can only go by what has been posted here, and dav didn't post anything before you did. Keep speculating herald.

Since you seem to have such superior knowledge of what Davairus supposedly said, why not explain in greater detail what he did say, rather than simply dismiss someone else's point on the basis of whether or not they were there?

In fact, why are you talking about what's considered a gangbang, when the conversation and the thread here deals primarily with whether or not spelling each other up is considered "alone" as specified in the pact (the part about facing others alone)?

AcidAngel wrote:

Again, the main point is not what's considered a gangbang, but what's considered "alone", because the pact does not say "gangbang" anywhere, but does say to "face others alone".

AcidAngel wrote:
Language makes things so easy to manipulate, and Davairus loves to do that, but don't be fooled into thinking that changing a word here, and adding a few 'examples' there is just a clarification.

Uh huh.

0 0 0
b00mslang

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject:

you see, the question here is not about 1v1 battles when the legion is getting sanc/haste or something from someone else.

The problem here is in 1v2 battles, and the outlawing of 2v2 and 3v3 battles, or, that's how I understand it.

0 0 0
Eldorian
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject:

b00mslang wrote:
you see, the question here is not about 1v1 battles when the legion is getting sanc/haste or something from someone else.

The problem here is in 1v2 battles, and the outlawing of 2v2 and 3v3 battles, or, that's how I understand it.

The question here is precisely about 1v1 battles where the Legion is getting sanc/haste from other Legions to go PK.

Remember the basic issue here -- defining "alone" to mean "without help" as opposed to "other Legions can do anything they want to help you as long as they don't directly attack". So whenever Davairus gets around to it, it'll be changed to "alone and unaided" or the like because some people think that "alone" isn't clear enough.

0 0 0
Niladein

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: haha

Ohh Louis, you beautiful ass kisser. Bro, I'm probably the worst legion ever. So your right, I'm not really of any worth, but your life is just sad cause you spend it kissing these peoples ass in hopes that you can get a little title in a GAME making you an Immortal of a game that 20 people play. The difference between you and me is that I live a real life and my nose isnt brown.

Have a good day.

btw, way to pick on noobs trying to rank, i hope that makes you feel good.

0 0 0
Eldorian
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: haha

Niladein wrote:
Ohh Louis, you beautiful ass kisser. Bro, I'm probably the worst legion ever. So your right, I'm not really of any worth, but your life is just sad cause you spend it kissing these peoples ass in hopes that you can get a little title in a GAME making you an Immortal of a game that 20 people play. The difference between you and me is that I live a real life and my nose isnt brown.

Have a good day.

btw, way to pick on noobs trying to rank, i hope that makes you feel good.

Way to contribute to the discussion.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: