Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 4 hours.

Overpowered classes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smotpoker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Overpowered classes

As the name suggests what is the most OP class in AR and what can be done to fix it?

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Is this another excuse to bitch about invokers?

0 0 0
Smotpoker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject:

no invokers aint the most OP class at least not imo.
Rangers are.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure anyone's opinion of overpowered is irrelevant if it isn't coming from near the top of the pk stats. If you think something's overpowered, prove it by showing how easy it is to kick ass with it against other top 5 pk'ers, then let us know.

0 0 0
Dispater

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject:

gnome invoker in cabals (due massive hp, healing, vuln-removal).
werebeast ranger. (only in forest, seriously, it's not THAT OP as noobs think)
dwarf warrior. (beast by default, even after the str nerf. vuln is easy to counter with favoured shaft-weapons)
fire berserker (if you bother training one and actually walk with 40+ hitroll and decent damroll you will be facepwning everything)
duergar thief (you should never lose a fight, especially after the nerf of anti-blackjack options. too bad most of the people are just plain stupid to understand the purpose of the class. but even for those, hobble-clobbers ftw against water-cube huggers and magic resist vs casters, WTF MORE DO YOU WANT?!)

0 0 0
Mummy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Hobble clobber only works if your foe is higher-ranked.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Vulns go through shields dont they? Also I dont know if you coan really ever counter a vuln. Damage multipliers on strong vulns are too high. You can't even mitigate the incoming damage. You don't hard counter your vuln by wearing a raincoat or something, and wearing an axe isnt countering it.. its just doing more damage. It would do more damage if the other weapon wasnt vuln as well.

0 0 0
Pops

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Most OP is kind of a tough question.

Do you mean "what class is the most powerful in the hands of the best players?"

Or "What class is easiest to make a powerhouse with?"

Or "Which class is most deadly under ideal conditions?"

There are a couple more variations I can think of, but the point I'm trying to make is that there are a lot of variables that matter in the determination.

Take Lorana for example. I wouldn't say healers are overpowered in most instances, as they're specifically geared as support classes, and they don't have much in the way of killing power. But if you get one totally decked to the point that they can hit hard without enhanced damage or extra attacks, and you have a player that knows the game impeccably, they can be deadly as hell and damn near immortal because of their defensive abilities. Any "average" skilled player, is probably going to find them underpowered in the player killing department though.

Shamans seem like the opposite side of the coin, where a less skilled player may be able to compete on a higher level than they normally would because of the toolbox of offensive and defensive skills they have access to: Sanc, healing, enhanced damage, mals, and afflictive spells. When you get to the top ratings though, their general averageness seems to keep them from dominating the game. People may mention Dhua, but remember she was a justice, and one of the most skilled players in the game. Added damage from Elite special guard, and the killing power of ensnare make a huge difference. Generally speaking we don't see them in the top five that often.

Necromancers are justly feared when they get their full complement of zombies, but they take a loooonnnggg time to do that. The odds of running in to one that is fully prepped with zombies and decent damroll gear are slim, but when it does happen, they're probably the scariest class in the game.

I'm going to force myself to pick a general "overall" winner and go with rangers, with a special emphasis on caballed rangers. The get pets, camo, herb, they do an awful lot of damage, and they often have a place in the top five killers. Defender potions make a huge difference for them as well.

0 0 0
Smotpoker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject:

I meant it as a general OP class, like rangers for example.

2 pets, third attack, dual parry, double disarm, camo, and herb.
In Theory a dual wielding ranger with two pets can pump out as much if not more damage than a warrior can, and can heal without sacrificing movement to do it and when things get tough they can camo and be semi safe.

0 0 0
Dispater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject:

Pops and Smotpoker, have you even played a level 50 ranger?

Pops said that caballed rangers are the most OP, i disagree 100%.

Cabals totally break rangers, they have to fight in cities most of the time, they won't be able to use half of their skill arsenal. Rangers are only strong if they fight in their own terms, in their own territory.

Also, yes, rangers get third attack, herb, camouflage and whatever Smotpoker mentioned. What about a warrior? I'd take fourth attack over semi-reliant pets anyday. Hobble, sideswipe, barrage, charge and much more usable weaponskills make warrior much better fighter. Make that warrior a Dwarf and you're a powerhouse by default.

As Olyn said, if you claim rangers to be so OP, roll one, prove it by killing everyone in top 5 and then give some REAL feedback, not just throw in assumptions.

I played Orav pretty good, in fights and i have to say that a same-skilled warrior will give you a beatdown, unless you're in the forest able to murder-flee freely. I also killed pretty much every Legion, Justice, Knight and Keeper and fought them all multiple times, so i know what i'm talking about.

While i don't say that rangers are not strong, i'm saying that there's equally strong combinations as well, if played properly. If you place a Drow Ninja into the hands of the player who really "gets" the idea of a ninja, you will be seeing Ygin again.
Same with Fire Serkers on hands of Kalist for an example.

0 0 0
Dispater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject:

If you question my judgement, make a poll with most underpowered race+class combo in the game and i'll show you that i'm going to rank it up and be #1 PK stats this month as well.

Edit: I've been trying to figure out wtf to play for a while now, would really want a challenge. Preferably something Evil to PK without remorse:P I like experimenting, adapting and judging the limits of my character, so i will be creating a poll, let it run a couple of days and then get right on the horse.

http://www.abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=63259#63259

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject:

I don't know how many fifty rangers you guys have had, but rangers are just situational. With my keepers the only time I got beat down was due to high dex combo, like drow ninja or drow warrior. That was well before the vuln change against xenyar, dirt kick and I was done. I couldn't dodge parry anything can't switch weapons and herb. The only difference came in when you can use vuln weapons that would temper the fight from their massive damage overload since dex races can just stack up the damage and hit dirt every single damn time.

Regarding pets, pets are useless in cities and your only pet that you really need is a bear and that can usually just save your life. If you are getting beat down, no matter what pet you have it won't make a difference. Most of my i fights I usually had 1 pet and didn't have the chance to get a second because I died or flew away and I didn't want to lose the advantage by trying to get another and the guy gets away.

The biggest asset a ranger has over a warrior is the weapon switch, especially with a bow you can really pump out damage quickly to turn a fight. Herb is super great along with quick volley and snap shot. Wounding shot seemed to be a bit broken in my last two rangers but I never really used it much anyway.

Key to beat a ranger, don't dual wield ever. Zerkers have an easier time to kill rangers especially with tame being unreliable as well. I never got to get a good fight with Corzen so its hard to speak on that, but against Drasn he could wipe the floor with me really easy when I fell for some of his tricks.

If you think rangers are OP its simply because the people we fought. Avian ninja vs beast ranger, more please! Disease vuln with arrows, dirt kicking taelrask so he can't clobber I will take that all day. Phantom griffon against fire giant warrior, yes please but if you sideswipe game over. Beast rangers in beast mode are op, but remember beast mode has a long ass cool down. WAIT IT OUT and op rangers just become human. How many human rangers come to mind being op??

0 0 0
Dispater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Oranyth, but pip played him.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Dispater wrote:
gnome invoker in cabals (due massive hp, healing, vuln-removal).
werebeast ranger. (only in forest, seriously, it's not THAT OP as noobs think)
dwarf warrior. (beast by default, even after the str nerf. vuln is easy to counter with favoured shaft-weapons)
fire berserker (if you bother training one and actually walk with 40+ hitroll and decent damroll you will be facepwning everything)
duergar thief (you should never lose a fight, especially after the nerf of anti-blackjack options. too bad most of the people are just plain stupid to understand the purpose of the class. but even for those, hobble-clobbers ftw against water-cube huggers and magic resist vs casters, WTF MORE DO YOU WANT?!)

Dwarves lost magic vuln vs spells a long long time ago.

Pip did not prove rangers are overpowered. And wasn't that before the wounding shot changes, etc.? Pretty sure it was.

The whole concept of overpowered is pointless in this game. Obviously a semi skilled storm giant healer with great gear and days spent training (plus wise pracs spent) is going to be super powered. Very few classes are going to be able to stand up to that without at least a bit of trouble. That doesn't make them overpowered, it is just the correct recipe. A gnome invoker was always a great recipe. Shield block and parry alone make gnomes a force. That gnome ranger, I forget his name, used to go around spanking people pretty often I think. Human ranger is a good recipe too imo, but rangers in genral are simply not designed to be good in cabals.

People tell me all the time how zerg is way overpowered and needs a nerf. It is usually coming from a terran. case in point.

0 0 0
Dispater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject:

zerg is only op until you get carriers on protoss

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: