Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 12 hours.

a race for ninja
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stanislav

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: a race for ninja

I have hard time finding a 'better' option for myself, because I am not really knowledgeble about the game. So, I meed some sort of a pro advice on this, with detailed explanation of pros and cons of the races and ethos(chaotic vs neutral). I dont like avians as a race at all and I dont see anything special about humans. So basically, I am debating between h-elf and drow.

I've read a helpfiles about races and ethos, but still would like to hear an advice of experienced players because I probably miss alot of details and equipment knowledge.

What I -already- know:

H-elf pros:
- can be neutral align
- learns fast and has high int. 1 prac per skill is enough
- no vulns

H-elf cons:
- may be stats? but I dont think a tradeoff of 1 str for 1 dex is a big deal compared to a human. saved pracs go to hp. more mana than human, if that matters for a ninja at all.

Drow pros:
- highest dex for ninja
- learning from 1 prac
- legacies
- autosneak
- drow just cool and also evil, may be a pro?

Drows cons:
- vulns is an ouch
- evil race with no protection with vulns is a double ouch
- no mithril, no silver equipment
- shit stats aside of dex

So its basically a pick between "good but nothing special" vs "very cool bunch of vulns" for me. Did I miss anything about pros or cons about any of these two races?

Same with ethos:

Chaotic: using wild items(including some sets of eq), but has problem with justice and cannot use 'civilized' eq.
Neutral: just neutral, nothing special. no cool wild eq, but there are plently of good non-wild eqipment so not a big deal.

Which one would you guys suggest?

p.s. Thank you for advices.

0 0 0
Arishel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject:

H-Elf Pros:

- Half-elves have a lot of racial legacies available.
- Half-elves don't have a high exp cost.
- Mediocre stats across the board as opposed to unique race(s).

H-Elf Cons:

- Can't be evil (I understand this, but if you like to be evil, then..)
- Can't really think of much else.

Drow Pros:

- High Int & High Dex (Makes them awesome mage/ninja option).
- Racial legacies are there for Ninja & Dark-Knight.
- Autosneaking is good to have (Especially for thief/ninja/Invoker)

Drow Cons:

- Vulns do hurt, but with time, you can get around it.
- 18 Str allows for only carrying so much (Especially if you're used to playing a high str race).
- One of the Hightest Exp cost Races to choose from.

I would suggest picking a half-elf class that a Drow can also be. That way you "learn the ropes" with the half-elf, but by the time you get to where you want to be a drow, you know how the class works in and out. The only thing that will change in your quest through said class is equipment/RP and experience. I hope this helps you in some way, and welcome back.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject:

I don't know about the wild item fine/penalty via Justice so besides that here is what I think. And I'm going to list avian because that is a pretty badass ninja race imo. these are my thoughts for you.

Drow

Pro:

Auto-sneak is great for rogues.

Obvious stats catered towards mage/rogue skills like dirt.

Racial legacies that can make you a killing machines and a master escape artist.

Advantageous leveling spots, that high dex rogue classes can really shine in.

Con:

This combo is going to be very hard to master. It is unlikely as a starter ninja you will have much of any success.

Low ranks will be difficult. You'll have a shit HP pool, and you'll get routinely cheesed by people 6-7-8 ranks above you.

A HUGE exp penalty will make leveling difficult, very difficult.

Very poor strength. Carrying items will be a pain. WILL BE a pain.

Stats. Poor parrying, poor natural HP gain.

The vuln thing can be irritating, especially when equipping early on or re-equipping. A lot of nice items you won't be able to wear.

Half-elf:
Pros

Obvious skill advantage.

Decent stats for a ninja. Decent stats also makes the grind from 1-50 much more favorable.

Large alignment selection making for great leveling, grouping, etc.

Cons

Half-elves do not strike me as outstanding. They are a middle of the road race imo. No stunning advantages or harsh vulns in the end game. And at 50 that quick skill up will not make as much of a difference in pvp.

Generally good legacies, but as a ninja, you'll have to get by without the advantages that make half-elves really shine, like boundless mastery or greginplate.

A new race/class combo, so there will be less information/logs and so forth for you to learn how to really make this combo shine.

Avian:
Pros

Flight. Near permanent flight is so awesome. It saves you, it ensures you can track anyone for as long as your heart desires, and with dual enhanced damage - you'll be a finisher for sure, it gives you a distinct advantage of being able to *choose* when you fly. You want to land a quick dirt? You can land, do that, and fly again if is your choice. Your opponent is landing dirt kicks with too much efficiency? You can just fly, landing when you think the moment is just right. For rogues I have found avians are pretty incredible, for flight alone.

Alignment. With avians you can choose neutral or evil, giving you great control of how your char advances.

Stats. Recent buffs to dex gives them a solid pool for a rogue. 21 int and 20 wis makes you a decent HP pool if you spend them correctly. Str for a decent parry as well.

Vuln. For me, the vuln was actually a benefit many times. You knew your opponent would almost guaranteed be holding a ivy sword w/e it is called. Or go for your vuln with w/e weapon, giving you the benefit of initiating with a lag skill or getting it in that first round with a potential dirt, etc.

Cons

Vuln. can also be a con, since it is pretty nasty.

Stats. Low con can make for poor HP without trains spent later.

Flight. can get you in some trouble if you aren't careful, but because you can choose when you fly, this disadvantage is much less disastrous for an avian.

When picking a class/race, *usually* the ones with the racial legacies, or special abilities, like ill ill - are going to be much more difficult to master. The legacies are in place to supplement their natural weaknesses, so you'll have to expect that a class/race like drow/ninja is going to have to heavily rely on those masteries to be successful while a half-elf/ninja is going to -have a much easier time just playing a straight forward ninja.

go for the type of playing you're looking for at the moment. with an avian/ninja i scored lots of kills just on the strength of unlimited moves + blindness dust + dual enhanced. i knew i wasn't going to be going for the practice patience-sit in the shadows-and wait style of play

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject:

Drows by far. I'm pretty sure their vuln has been changed to the point that it's basically not a vuln. The worst time a vuln was used against me was when a dark knight fought me with unholy strength, but since drows have a high dex one can hold their own against them if you hold weapon and combat advantage. Don't be an avian because they are weak to maledictives and faerie fire is a maledictive spell, plus ninjas can use fly scrolls anyway. Drows train very fast just do to their int, plus they have auto sneak. Which is such a "I win" skill. Just remember to keep combat advantage against warriors at all times, and use blindness dust. Also remember to use two-handed weapons when you clobber and uncanny. Start each battle with assassinate and your basically guaranteed to win.

0 0 0
stanislav

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject:

What is so special about blinding dust? Everyone mentions it as a great bonus, but I have no idea why. Does it last longer than dirt, or easier to hit, or ignores protective shield? From what I've seen it didnt last much longer than dirt and did minor damage(cant dust strangled people).

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject:

I have seen blindness dust last for 13 rounds and goes through prot shield. It checks mal saves and hits the entire room, and in turn hits people you can and can't see.

Avian ninja is pretty fun, vuln = pain, same with drow. Half-elf is okay, fast training if you don't want to dedicate tons of hours to it. I don't know why no one has mentioned human yet.

Human pros:
Highest ninja str, this is great for parry after acupunture.
Still respectable dex, 21 is okay, everyone wants to hobble rogues, now you can fall back on a slightly better parry.
Highest con for ninja, 20. This is pretty good for a rogue.
Any align choice, don't forget they can be goods (this goes for half-elf too)
0 xp hole.
No vulns.

Human cons:
Lowest combined int/wis, generally slower training in turn.
No racial legacies.
No super powers (flying, learning, autosneak)
has less general appeal, who wants to be human afterall?

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Mikoos wrote:
Drows by far. I'm pretty sure their vuln has been changed to the point that it's basically not a vuln. The worst time a vuln was used against me was when a dark knight fought me with unholy strength, but since drows have a high dex one can hold their own against them if you hold weapon and combat advantage. Don't be an avian because they are weak to maledictives and faerie fire is a maledictive spell, plus ninjas can use fly scrolls anyway. Drows train very fast just do to their int, plus they have auto sneak. Which is such a "I win" skill. Just remember to keep combat advantage against warriors at all times, and use blindness dust. Also remember to use two-handed weapons when you clobber and uncanny. Start each battle with assassinate and your basically guaranteed to win.

I'm sorry didn't the vuln change to be MORE lethal? As in now not only will mith/silver arrows hurt drows, but any silver weapons? If this is true, Mikoos, you are not helping by spreading misinformation.

blindness dust is awesome. You can use savebreaks, and since most people won't use mal saves against ninjas because a lot of people dont use saves anymore at all, even against shamans - you can land it pretty easy. I believe it works just like dirt, in that the more you run the longer it lasts. It has been a long time but I think you even get flee/stumble lag. Much more reliable than dirt kick, lasts a lot longer on average. It also is an AOE, so it is has many uses.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Low half-elf constitution might come back to bite you in the ass if you die a lot.

0 0 0
stanislav

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject:

H-elves have 18 con and gain 10-14 comared to humans gaining 11-15 with 20 con. I dont know if you guys prac skills from 50% with 20 but for me 50 hps probably not worth going through all that skill spamming. So basically, humans gain roughly 50 hp more but h-elves get the same hp by converting 50 pracs into hps.

Are there any cool tricks with strangle involved? I used to play other roms where assassins did no damage with dust and could hit nerve on sleeping people. But it isnt an option here. As I see it, strangle is good for: getting multiple tries on blinding dust, observing your opponents weapon/combat setup and starting a fight with advantage, using scrolls with maledictions. Any other hints?

p.s. Does prot shield prevents strangle?

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject:

prot shield does not prevent strangle. The Drow vuln was increased in that more types of weapons now hurt them. The number of weapons was reduced after that when testing was doen to find out the sheer number of weapons to hurt drow/elves. So materials were changed on a bunch of weapons. I liked strangling, and then switching to weapon advantage and assasinating that way. Worked against people who were keeping their hp below full sometimes.

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject:

The worst I've encountered are two handed silver polearms/spears, brilliant boxes are a dime a dozen, everyone uses them, but they have never been a problem for me. I imagine arrows do crazy amounts of damage, but with the very few times I've actually encountered someone with a bow, I just clobbered them, then blinded them and that was that. I don't know what has all changed, but it's my opinion not a fact, that it's easier to play a drow than it used to be.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject:

blindess dust has/had a target cool down, you can't really spam it i don't think.

Not arguing your opinion mikoos, i just don't understand how a vuln that can now be accessed by more classes, and bypass more defenses/overcome more weapon/style advantages somehow "has been changed to the point that it's basically not a vuln".

jaux say mithril axes?

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Why would anyone use a mithril axe against a drow ninja? When they can use a mithril/silver spear, which makes it difficult for the drow to dodge. Any bladed mithril/silver weapons are easily raked aside with uncanny and with a blinded enemy, it's so easy. I do know there are different levels of vuln and mithril/silver are the weakest compared to light weapons. Especially compared to weapons that dish out rays. All classes are able to use brilliant boxes as it has been in the past. Any piercing silver/mithril weapon have always been a vuln. The fact that the other mithril and silver weapons can do a little bit more damage is no big deal. The only time I would use one would be at a lower rank than 50. I'd rather use an rare weapon(or a light weapon) and if it's silver then that's just icing on the cake.
Edit:I forgot to mention that this is considering that a person can even wield a weapon after being hit with poison mastery.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Mikoos wrote:
Why would anyone use a mithril axe against a drow ninja? When they can use a mithril/silver spear, which makes it difficult for the drow to dodge. Any bladed mithril/silver weapons are easily raked aside with uncanny and with a blinded enemy, it's so easy. I do know there are different levels of vuln and mithril/silver are the weakest compared to light weapons. Especially compared to weapons that dish out rays. All classes are able to use brilliant boxes as it has been in the past. Any piercing silver/mithril weapon have always been a vuln. The fact that the other mithril and silver weapons can do a little bit more damage is no big deal. The only time I would use one would be at a lower rank than 50. I'd rather use an rare weapon(or a light weapon) and if it's silver then that's just icing on the cake.
Edit:I forgot to mention that this is considering that a person can even wield a weapon after being hit with poison mastery.

I'm feeling as though your points are so ridiculous we look like fools even debating them. But I don't mind. Firstly, drow vulns apply to all drows, not just ninjas. This goes to your point of why use a mithril axe against a ninja. However my point is that, vs a drow shaman a mithril axe is going to hit their vuln and "decrease" their shield block, a double whammy. Essentially, overall, the vuln may be somewhat "weak" when compared to other vulns in theory, but the vast array of options (apparently much less so now) when it comes to silver weapons make it considerably stronger in practice.

The drow vs silver vuln may not be as strong as water vs dwarf vuln, but there is a reason behind this. Dwarves have great shield blocks, and superb hp. There are also a considerably less water based damaging items than there are silver. By allowing non-projectiles to activate the silver vs drow vuln, you have allowed a wider range of classes to hit that vulnerability. This makes the vuln more lethal plain and simple. There is no riddle to solve, it is a cut and dry concept. I understand the vuln might have been made weaker, but I've experienced first hand that silver is still going to do quite a bit more damage than a weapon that doesn't hit the weakness.

Triviliazing the drow vuln in comparison to the dwarf or illithid vuln is unwise (and unhelpful to new players) because, drows get much less hp, shield block, etc. than a dwarf, for example. As such, their vuln to silver/mith is actually somewhat proportionate. I hope I'm making my take on this concept clear, by restating it. The last comparison doesn't mean the silver vuln is "basically not a vuln" or however you phrased it. It simply means that if the silver vs drow vuln was as strong as the water vs dwarf vuln, drows might not last 2 rounds vs a fire giant with a mithril weapon.

So to try and break my point down as simply as possible. An unholy drow dk charging a dwarf can do obliterates through sanc in the right circumstances. A drow could not survive this type of onslaught, so it does not make sense for their vuln to be as lethal as the dwarven vuln.

They would have just axed the silver/mithril vuln all together, or left it as projectile-only if it didn't make a big difference. Staff would have wasted an assload of time working these changes out for absolutely no reason. Even a slight vuln, 50 hp, 3 extra shield blocks a fight - can translate to be huge advantages in combat.

Also there are items, pills, and spells that if you're smart or just a tiny bit skilled, you'll pick up BEFORE allowing a drow ninja to poison mastery you. Much like you grab a purple potion, or a flight potion, or a detect invis potion before you start certain fights.

Work is almost over and I have no more time for checking so please excuse whatever errors are left.

Last edited by Erlwith on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject:

erlwith, it's a ninja post

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Just read the post below.

Last edited by Erlwith on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject:

He wasn't arguing that part, but simply stating that claiming the drow vuln to mithril/silver was hardly a vuln at all isn't true.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject:

even so, we should try to stay on topic to help the original poster, no? this is interesting and all but going way off topic.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject:

That human vs half-elf hp thing is bullshit. 1 point of con gives you 1 extra hp for level, not half a hp. That means humans get 100 more hp, not 50 hp and then trumped by training. Couldn't you 1-prac a human anyway? This training argument is completely moot. Human ninjas get an extra 100 hp over half-elf ninjas for 1 less point of dex, and 1 point better strength. The only way it could work out better to be a half-elf now is whether that int/wis defensive buff (which I noticed is not on the website.. we'll fix that), slightly better chance to trip, dirt-kick, and slightly easier training is worth it to you. I advise that 100 hp is an amount not to be scoffed at. We'll get more info about stats added to the website ASAP.

0 0 0
stanislav

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
That human vs half-elf hp thing is bullshit. 1 point of con gives you 1 extra hp for level, not half a hp. That means humans get 100 more hp, not 50 hp and then trumped by training. Couldn't you 1-prac a human anyway? This training argument is completely moot. Human ninjas get an extra 100 hp over half-elf ninjas for 1 less point of dex, and 1 point better strength. The only way it could work out better to be a half-elf now is whether that int/wis defensive buff (which I noticed is not on the website.. we'll fix that), slightly better chance to trip, dirt-kick, and slightly easier training is worth it to you. I advise that 100 hp is an amount not to be scoffed at. We'll get more info about stats added to the website ASAP.

I had to double check on this before posting, but I think you are wrong about hps, man. I have half and drow ninjas leveled and leveled human ninja up to rank 5 for testing. Drows gain 9-13, halfs 10-14 and humans 11-15. Which is a half of hp per con.

Humans get 50% of skill per prac, Halfs get 61% and get a learning bonus. I believe that, with some dedication, one can force himself and practice melee combat skills from 50% as a human. But I cant imagine someone doing it with utility skills like chii, picklock, endure, dust and such. Also, I've noticed that some skills are extremely slow to practice and probably require to be spent 2 pracs on them at start.

Obviously, I am new and dont know any cool tricks about practicing skills very fast. And for me getting strangle, assassinate or even grapple up to 100% from 50% is a huge load of time. I would rather put 2 pracs in a skill, which makes me equival to a half-elf hp wise.

What defense buff are you talking about? I've heard something about it, but would like to read the details.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: