Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

Questing for advancement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do I like this?
Yes
88%
 88%  [ 31 ]
No
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 35

Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject:

That's a pretty overwhelming response I guess. I'll be training Vanisse how to write them so we can go faster. Will probably also make some changes to the questor interface, so that they're easier to follow.

0 0 0
theobserver

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject:

I can help too if you show me.

0 0 0
Rem

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject:

I'll help too. One of the quests will be to go into the mystical "round room" and piss in the corner. The room however will be no exit, norecall, no summon.

0 0 0
ekiru

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Rem wrote:
I'll help too. One of the quests will be to go into the mystical "round room" and piss in the corner. The room however will be no exit, norecall, no summon.

Make sure you can't teleport out, as anyone worth their weight in lead(not very much lead, usually) has green potions or other teleport items.

0 0 0
Rem

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject:

yeah and no teleport, and there's a pain that pulses every tick. Except the pain will go something like this.

"You go crazy trying to find the corner in the room"
"Your craziness DISEMBOWELS you!"

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject:

I named my ipod after davairus
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Taleroth
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject:

Just another addition if you wish, dav.

It is actually from wow, which I find is an interesting thing to add.

Not that I wanted to see AR to be like WOW-like, but that MMORPG seriously has a few freaking good ideas about their game.

Let's say that you had reached the capped level of AR and the repeated quests are still do-able at capped level. Instead of gaining experience now, gold is rewarded instead.

I am considering this from a PK-death view.

Scenario:

Knight A had been killed earlier in the game and logs on hoping to re-equip himself with items, (* Some Legion or evil guy sacrifice all his items when he died). While he can run to gather some mithril/living wood items to re-equip himself with and also doing the repeated quests to get some gold. Using the gold he gained from the quests, he can go gamble on items at shopkeepers.

In this way, it isn't neccessary that a character who is trying to recover from his earlier death to be like looking for rares items to re-equip himself for the next battle. I believe the gambled items are pretty decent or better compared to mithril/dragon, though I had not really tried out all yet.

Also what I felt is that this will allow players at capped levels to 'have something to do' instead of logging in and found there is nothing they can do in capped levels? They can choose to gain more gold to store in banks/ cabal banks in case of death/item loss.

Just my views.

0 0 0
Rem

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject:

yeah actually that would actually be played out better if it was a Legion dude who got killed, and his corpse sanctified and then he had to gamble for equipment because we all know that Knights just go around and beg for equipment from mobs.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject:

I think if you have to repeat anything over and over its really boring, and that's why things suck. So I deliberately haven't made quests repeatable, or even particularly similar (look at circus quests). But I do like the idea of throwing quests on top of levelling mobs, so that you can make some progress on the mobs, then go level on the other similar-rank mobs to complete their quests as well... you actually want to go looking for new areas to explore and gain experience, instead of settling for 150 exp surge kills every couple days. Beyond the first completion though, I'm sure players will just go back to farming surges/guild points, since its the fastest tmethod of ranking by far.

As for gold-farming - I made "tasks" for this, which are randomized sufficiently so that its not so dull. Tasking for gold at level 50 works fine. There's also mining Grimforge, which isn't coincidentally large gold when you consider that the ore gathering is a shot at end-game armor. So, if you are shitty at tasking, do that. But gold-questing, no. The only sort of repeatable "quest" I would want to do, would have to be PVP objective-based, not reward-based. Like a quest that occupies battlezone with your cabal, so that your cabal gets exclusive access to the palace there (and its shop's nice supplies). This would be a significant advantage - but only if you are going to defend it. Those vary because the players involved isn't the same every time, so I like that.

Level 50's are already awarded gold instead of exp, to answer the other question. I just didn't enable that for quests yet.

0 0 0
Nakachi

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject:

That sounds cool, like capture the flag? Which ever cabal captures it can purchase the supplies, and it's up to be captured by anyone at any time? To me that sounds pretty sweet.

0 0 0
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Plus once your reach the top in one area you can simply be told where to go next I think that is a good idea for people who have no fucking clue on what their doing.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject:

Just throwing this out there, but if there was a way to "abandon" then regain a quest that was somehow screwed up that'd be useful. In the quest on ronus' pirate ship (old legion hq) the one where you have to kill prisoners i had my alias set to murder prisoner and i jumped the gun and killed the wrong one too early, and can't finish the quest, but restarting it would fix the problem.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject:

Quests are good for exploration and learning the game (oh hey, I can get a purple potion here and it does this for me?). Not for something you have to do if you want to get the most of out whatever you are doing (ranking in this case, or in the past it was for skill training gain). Sounds like a chore. Proud no voter.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject:

We have a lot of areas with conflicts. Witch wood vs Emerald. Battlezone. Warders vs Shaldun Nightwalkers. Keep of D'al Kaddar general mischief. Those conflicts are the kind of things I wish to show you through quests *that can involve killing ranking mobs*. Why are the ettins and defilers in drkshyre wood, anyone know? You'll probably have no idea that they're related to Daryth the dark priest, even though Daryth is an ettin as well. A quest that ties these threads together and help you to piece together whats going on with AR is "learning the game". Its also some free exp points that aren't out of your way for a change (even if you change to stronger ranking area just for quest reasons), so big deal, barely any extra effort involved for someone at the keyboard. Walk up to some mob to finish up in the area or go tank another full round of rangers for 1k exp? Not much of a point you have there.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject:

Rayor likes...

0 0 0
Nakachi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Okay, So about that Battlezone capture the Palace type quest. Were you just babbling or serious? That sounds awesome.. Just wondering.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject:

I want to do something like that, but it has to be done in an area that (a) is bound to be used heavily by all mid-to-high levels, and (b) isn't going to get wandered into by a poor newbie. Ideal zone is almost the orcish mountains, clearly levellable by both alignments, but that fails at (b). I don't think battlezone would be a good place to showcase that, as it fails at (a). Tainted Valley? Maybe. I just don't know yet. If I pull a move like deleting shire, then having evils ranking in shaldun, that'd have a shot, but you can imagine the complaints after people got so used to ranking each alignment completely segregated. I would also be up for something that affects adjacent areas, if they share a common rest spot. e.g. shire (evil) and drkshyre wood (good) ranking indirectly affected by the status of haon dor's camps, if that affects group regen. I don't want cabals building castles everywhere though, they have to be permanent fixtures for people to attack and defend if they want them. Very Happy

Last edited by Davairus on Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject:

you cant spell slaughter without laughter. dual alignment ranking zones ftw.

0 0 0
Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Yeah but Dav the thing thats best about this game is selection. You start deleting more shit and have areas for both alignments to rank you'll get more pk out of it. Which isn't good for Heralds and such and on top of that you'll chase the newbs that can't pk away thats another thing I'm pretty sure no one wants.

0 0 0
Nakachi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Demea?

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: