Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

Retaining "new players"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject:

I was not saying that multikilling crap 50's is a bad thing at al. I was saying that newbies or anyone really that ranks to 50 to try to learn pk there, is not going to learn much.. they'll be fighting rared out badass instead of a slightly better player in similar items. I dunno what exactly you are trying to achieve with helping people - because the bottom line is, it takes time to build a good set, and skill to keep it, at level 50... and that is not something that can just be "taught". Good luck teaching someone to run from anybody pip is playing. Barely any of you can even do that, remember.. chasing Heralds for pip is pretty much laughable. He got that fast basically memorizing the whole mud from pking and having to run away a lot. That can't be instructed into somebody, its just experience. You guys have to understand that. You can't make the mud fun by coddling newbs, just what sort of effect do you expect in the long-term from that.

0 0 0
Mummy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, but I gotta agree with Dav here. I suck ass so bad at PK, but I can run and hide like a fucking gypsy. Why? Because if I don't, I get ass-raped. I know he didn't mention me as an example, but I think it's a good one. You can't get good at hiding if you don't have to do it ALL the time. Same goes for pk. If you pk a lot, you get better than if you don't do it much..... That's it. Plain and simple.

0 0 0
Kren

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject:

I am learning to try PK I die alot. I just keep getting up and fighting more.

The biggest things that have help are suggestions from Immortals (ie use charge, get out of the battle early if your not winning), and suggestions from players (your corpse is here, wear these rings, you should have done this, why didn't you do that). It is hard to get good feeback from others of the opposite alignment becuase it seems most out of character to ask "so how did I do" or "do you have any suggestions" and even less likely to get an honest response. But, on occasion when someone has been decent enough to give me suggestions I take them to heart and am better able to analyze my battle.

I am getting better at not dying outright and work on my flee skills.

Not full looting a corpse that you killed to easily is a HUGE help.

I appreciate everyone who has tried to help me and there are quite a few (or lots of charecters by a few players I don't really know).

I figure if you help me become a better PK you will be more challanged and AR will be more rewarding for you.

I also alway help anyone who has less experience than me and think that my suggestions have been helpful.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject:

*cheers Kren on and wishes him good luck!* Very Happy

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject:

Maybe you have recieved a suggestion at level 50 or whatever, and it has been helpful. if you were level 50, and someone showed you where the purples are, then thats obviously a massive help. Then again, its on a mob you can kill at level TEN, and learn the benefit of at level TEN. People oft complain about the fact they get looted when they're pked. Especially newbies. What about levels 10-15 huh? Nobody can loot a thing there. Have you considered how much of the game can be explored safely at level 14? Well, its most of it. My suggestion is to learn the way around as early as 14, and learn the pk ropes at 30. Lets take charge for instance. Berserkers get that at what, level 13? So type 'help charge' at 13, and then go try it! Dont be like, waiting for level 50, then have to be told when to charge and when not to. You can learn that much sooner, and at 50, worry about figuring out Winter instead of which way to hold a polearm up. If I'm playing a level 50 its to play against vets, not whirlwind through a noobfest that I have to coach how to challenge a fly before I get any enjoyment. I can play a 15 if I want to screw over newbs, and save myself the bother of ranking beyond that for a challenge. If that became the game at 50, I'd rather not even play. Honestly. So please. Competence by then. By then youve had 50 levels to figure things out, and nobodys gonna go easy.

Its like a swimming pool.. there's the infants pool with the armbands and moms, the shallow end with the 10 year olds and the teens still just horseing around, and the guys are diving from the high board over at the deepend.. experts. You'll learn best if you are swimming in the right part of the pool to begin with.. and think about it, where is the toughest part of learning to swim? Its not the diving board is it. Its your first lunge into water where you can't just put your feet down on the bottom. The middle of the range. Level 30.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
think about it, where is the toughest part of learning to swim? Its not the diving board is it. Its your first lunge into water where you can't just put your feet down on the bottom. The middle of the range. Level 30.

I think the deep end of the pool with lead weights chained to your feet and duct tape over your mouth is the hardest place to learn how to swim...

...but that's just my take on it. Twisted Evil

0 0 0
MrCarb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject:

The shallow end has all those suspicious warm patches, so rank up people.

0 0 0
Mummy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Laughing Potty in the playground. Oh yeah. Laughing

[threadjack] Dav, you know who my char is right? If so, tell me how I'm doing and where I'm making mistakes? [/threadjack]

I am actually taking ya'lls advice.... been hunting in the 30's ish range....
Killed a rank 33 with a rank 30 twice the other day, and been having loads of fun with pking.....

I'm getting better. I can way tell..... Very Happy Surprised

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: