Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

Overzealous namechange monkey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Try Vrael on google. You'll come up with a result or two.

It's straight out of the Inheritance series, specifically Eldest. He was the leader of the dragons.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Jamus wrote:
Try Vrael on google. You'll come up with a result or two.

It's straight out of the Inheritance series, specifically Eldest. He was the leader of the dragons.

1) You're right, Vrael (without the "H") is from the Inheritance trilogy...
2) ...however, I picked the name "Vhrael" completely at random, and didn't find out about the similarity until well after the character was at or above rank 50 and in the Justice cabal.

I'm not saying that "nobody caught it in time" is an excuse for allowing obviously inappropriate names to remain unchanged, but in my particular case it was an honest case of coincidence. That being said, I'm not the one on trial here. If my character's name were "Duhmahs" or something else that's blatantly ridiculous, I could see the point in discussing it... but here I don't.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Whoa whoa whoa. I need to clarify something.

I'm not bitching over a namechange. I would have gladly changed the name.

I'm pissed that I wasted 20 minutes manually rolling a char without getting an opportunity to change the name.

Trans to hell = inability to do anything. Waited there to see if Vanisse would trans me to namechange room. Not so much. Result = wasted char/time.

0 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I'll give Kalist this one, if hes pointing out the fact he wasnt given any option to do anything other then sit in Burning in Hell, then thats sort of lame. I was a namechange nazi back in the day, I'd sit there, google new characters names, and anything that was an obvious rip from a fantasy series or something, I'd jump over. At the same time some names were just from obscure tiny japanese companies which had like, a hit counter of 800, with those I'd feel relatively safe that not many people from AR would be among those 800 people, and no gaming experience would be ruined, and that it was more then possible the name was thought of originally, not taken from this little japanese company. At the same time, dicks like Magik who made char names called Usasucks and what have, and refused to co-operate a name change, I usually deathmarked and fatalitied, then promptly left them in an Imm room. But I didn't care if a vet wanted to waste 3 minutes of my time being a dick before finally relenting and picking a suitable name. They do that shit to get a rise out of people, but if you just roll your eyes, they shrug and co-operate. I'm sure Kalist knew what that word meant, but he was just being his generally funny Kalist self, and probably would have relented and picked a new name if you had given him a chance. He shouldn't have done it to begin with I'm sure, but being Nazi-ish Overlord-ish about it isn't a good way of going about business. Though admittedly I don't stir up shit to begin with, so I never really have to worry about this happening to me, but I still feel for my brother-from-another-mother Kalist.

0 0 0
Lydana
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject:

dictionary.com works well...unless there is a company named after your char or some famous character from a book. Its probably best to use both dictionary and google...

As far as the google searches go--It doesn't have to have NO responses, thats going to be practically impossible. The idea is to skim the first page of entries to see if its something obvious (a church type, a large company name, a popular book, etc). The goal isn't to have a TOTALLY unique name (though that would be ideal)... its to have a name that isn't commonly used. Usually if a name has less than about 2000 responses, thats a pretty good name.

I have to say, its pretty annoying when experienced chars purposely roll chars with bad names because they think its funny. I don't blame Vanisse for what she did, though I may have acted differently because I let people abuse my patience. Letting experienced chars who should know better get away with this is just asking for them to abuse other (more serious) rules in the future because they think its funny. Most of them are just out to get a rise out of someone... and in doing so they choose to take the risk of having someone react poorly and not let them get away with the abuse.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject:

Dumb ass, you obviously didnt search "Resatimm"

835 matches.

Scroll through the pages. 832 of them are me using that name in other incarnations/forums/games/logboards/whatever, AR being the first time I've used it. The other 5 are:

Name used in someones office document
Some guy on a radio forum
Some weird roleplaying thing, which may or may not be me, I dont remember

WTF why does google say that I live in Salisbury MD? Holy crap. Google knows everything.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject:

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse to break it. So I don't pitty Kalist for getting into trouble for a blatant rip of of one of the largest religious sects in the united states and possibly known world.

However, I do think that just porting him to the namechange room would have been a much easier resolution. Why? Well because first off you wouldn't have this string. Secondly, giving players a little leeway in these situations isn't completely uncalled for. It's a name, they HAVEN'T broken any major rules, and that's the bottom line. Trust and believe letting a player get away with changing his name from badname_01 to appropriate_name_02 is most certainly not going to inspire them to abuse bugs and break major rules. It's almost laughable that was even brought up. (Though no offense to the person who brought it up) There really should be a standard for this sort of thing, a structure for inappropriate names because clearly staff is not even remotely together on this one.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject:

No, it's not major rules - it's simpel shit, like coming up with an appropriate name. Especially from people that've been around for 7 years. I've done it, I got newbie banned for it. He knows the rules, I know that he does. So what perpetuates the behavior, why should he be given chances full well knowing the rules. It's like spitting at an officer knowing that it's against the law... it's not wise.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject:

Since we're talking about being pissed off, here's things I find annoying:

1) The name "Grimp" on a gnome invoker. Its obvious they're just going for "Gimp" there, a perversion of words.

2) The name "Sen" on an evil monk. Conveniently, this screws up auto-complete in Valour, so Knights try to attack their own sentry mobs. "Crap, seems I accidentally picked a name that causes one specific cabal a whole bunch of problems, and then attacked that cabal a whole lot, unwittingly milking it for all its worth... darn.."

3) The name "Rigwarl" on a berserker. Who else has named themselves after Defence of the ancients heroes? Even Rolf don't think this is clever.

All logged in/out for continuous power-ranking so low level Immortals can't nip this in the bud even though they want to. Our low level staff - and a whole lot of our players - have complained repeatedly about people like you doing this, and we've given them what they need to get their job done.

0 0 0
Lydana
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject:

I was only refering to experienced players who are well aware of the rules, not newbies. Newbs aren't gonna learn diddly crap by being sent to hell unless their name is abusive/offensive. However, experienced players who know the rules and try to bend them, will not learn if they are simply allowed to continually bend the rules.

IMHO there are a lot worse examples of this out there when people intentionally try to use something subtle to get around the rules and get a kick out of it when their stupid anagram or backwards name isn't changed. There are also the examples that Dav mentioned where people use names that border on abusive.

*Disclaimer* Just want to say, I won't judge whether or not Kalist was purposely being stupid or if it was truly accidental. I am also not refering to Kalist specifically when I talk about people trying to bend the rules.

0 0 0
DarkFire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject:

i have had a char named Tanys but that sounded to much like tanis from the dragonlance books and also I have seen many people who use Majere as a lastname again from Dragonlance, the lastname of a mage and a warrior its common that people get names from books and change them around to make them different but its still the same you had to delete and reroll get over it and no reason to bitch on the fourms. you live you learn. so dont pick a name that will get you raped by the imms

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject:

You can use kind of common names too, can't you? Just not ones like bob, sally, chris, jennifer, stuff like that.

there was a pally (I think) named kayden or something. That's far enough out there that you don't really think about it.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject:

Lydana wrote:
I am a bit curious what race/class combo Kalist's "Presbeterian" was. If it was a Knight wanna-be/goodie there should be no mercy.

it was an elf warrior.

no one found it funny Crying or Very sad

0 0 0
Davor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject:

Sooo let us hash this down. We have a veteran player with rather rich history cabal and trouble wise.
We also have him as an university student of humanistic direction. And he is quite bright and funny lad. Therefor him claiming ignorance on presbeterian is load of crap, and it is easily understood how imms would get annoyed by that. Point is, he has a long history with imms, other players and game itself, he knows it better then most. And that pretty much excludes the "I was not aware, I didn't know..." He is just bravado who tried to get away with it...

End result:
Veteran creates character a dumb name, game asks him are you sure this is apropriate name, game explains to him what is apropriate, although he knows otherwise he exclaims yes! Game asks are you sure. He is! (Sure that it is not!) <= so after all this he runs to the forums protesting his innocence and rags on one of I'll easily claim more"reasonable" immortals.

I'd say he gotten away easy.

Apparently proper response to the fact that imms are people who put in their effort and WORK for FREE on a game that YOU play for FREE (and since you are obviously playing it i'll be so bold as to conclude that you actually like this game and enjoy it), does not include adhering to even the basic, simplest rules of which you are more then well aware of.

Instead of bitching show some common sense and respect...

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject:

It's pretty simple: Imms don't like players who cause trouble for them. Lowbie Imms get picked on because they get fewer tools to deal with troublemakers: for example, they can't slap temp newbie bans on vets for making dumb names to mess with them. Therefore, forcing vets to reroll seems pretty tame. Don't want to reroll, don't pick a dumb name when you already know better. Newbies get leniency, not vets.

Oh, and as her avatar clearly says, Vanisse needs to be smacked. Always.

0 0 0
theobserver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

And then we find something she *doesnt* enjoy.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject:

I should add: the notion of "character investment" is exactly why we re-implemented rolling again, so that people don't feel that new characters are disposable throw-aways. This includes people with the attitude of "I'll just pick any name and have it renamed later" -- no, you invest in your character from the start, period. We don't appreciate veteran players making more work for our staff (to babysit your rename) by not even investing in a reasonable name for their characters to begin with.

Obviously stat rolling worked as it's designed here: you're going to think twice now about rolling an inappropriate name if you know it'll just result in you possibly needing to spend all that time rerolling again. It's much better to just name your character properly the first time around.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Definately agree with the decision to bring back stat-rolling. Excellent way to prevent chars from deleting (extra effort at creation makes you think twice about throwing a char away).

I actually couldn't think of what Presbeterian meant. I just thought it would be a name I'd easily remember. Didn't take the time to do a google so my bad on that, but it wasn't a malicious joke. Anyway, doesn't matter.

Quote:
Since we're talking about being pissed off, here's things I find annoying:

1) The name "Grimp" on a gnome invoker. Its obvious they're just going for "Gimp" there, a perversion of words.

2) The name "Sen" on an evil monk. Conveniently, this screws up auto-complete in Valour, so Knights try to attack their own sentry mobs. "Crap, seems I accidentally picked a name that causes one specific cabal a whole bunch of problems, and then attacked that cabal a whole lot, unwittingly milking it for all its worth... darn.."

3) The name "Rigwarl" on a berserker. Who else has named themselves after Defence of the ancients heroes? Even Rolf don't think this is clever.

All logged in/out for continuous power-ranking so low level Immortals can't nip this in the bud even though they want to. Our low level staff - and a whole lot of our players - have complained repeatedly about people like you doing this, and we've given them what they need to get their job done.

Names?

Grimp - Right on the money. Gnomes were believed to be gimped so he got a gimpy name. It must have been like a kick in the balls to have died to a gnome.

Sen - No malicious intent. I didn't know/care about 'Knight cabal sentry mobs' or whatever other abuse you thought I was going for. Senweii is a Jhesta Tu mystic from R.A. Salvatore's land of Corona. The description of the character in the novel matched perfectly to the abilities/playing style of a monk. Broke the name up to Sen Weii. For roleplay purposes, abusing shit never crossed my mind. Sen attacked the cabal a whole lot? Wow, when was that?

Rigwarl - Yes, under-rated hero in defense of the ancients, had no idea how much this char would be used.

As for the ooc ranking?

Grimp - not really. Pet project I ranked to 25 IC and left him there. No clue if he had ooc groups later on.

Sen - Made a very long time ago. Don't think it was part of an ooc permagroup but you'd have to check AR's log for that.

Rigwarl - Ranked from 1-44 (I think 44) completely IC. Took a long time but I didn't want Imms (Davairus) to say 'oh look another ooc powergroup char'. Only reason identity was revealed was due to me losing my cool over an Imm situation.

Ah well the "presbetarian" thing was dumb. I now understand that Vanisse likely thought I was just being a prick/dumbass when really I was just being an idiot and not realising 'hmm this seems familiar' = huge religious thing. So yeah, lesson learned. Google names, over and out.

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject:

So let's review real quick, and see what kalist learned from this, and maybe we can all learn too. Basically, what we have here is...

hahaha I'm just kidding. Ninja

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject:

My points are:

1) You pick dumb names all the time.
2) I back how Vanisse handled this 100%.
3) I think the way you attack Immortals regularly on the forums indicates PIBKAC.

Lets see how you to respond to those.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: