Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

name idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: name idea

I have an idea. It is rather trivial and lots of you may think it is very silly but here it is - what if there was a voting system so that if someone makes a newbie with a retarded name, people can vote to send them to the renaming room if an imm is not around? I imagine this would require something like at least 5 votes from different people and it would only work on newbies 10 and under, so that one guy can't just dick over some other char for personal reasons.

This way when some nutjob makes a char named Horndog Joe they can get shut down by players without having to endure the pain of seeing him on the who list until an imm gets around to smacking him down.

As an aside I don't know anything about the coding involved in this but I assume it would function similar to applicant approval with a transfer function instead of induct once it reached 5/5 points.

Whaddya think?

0 0 0
Arishel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject:

Why not just give heralds and mystics the ability to do that? Seems like they would be great for that, since they both kind of help out newbs.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject:

well 1) there aren't THAT many heralds/mystics 2) they aren't THAT active 3) i don't think it requires acceptance of application to a coterie for someone to be qualified to judge whether someone has a retarded name... shrug maybe stupid names just don't bother you as much as they do me? i'm not suggesting this as a required activity, just a potential option for fellow name nazis Smile

0 0 0
Emilise

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject:

I like it. I also like the idea of giving mystics since they are the newbie helpers the power to do it.

0 0 0
RebornShadows

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject:

hey hey hey heralds help newbies as well or ateast i do

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject:

I dont disagree with this idea, since there was some guy named Scimitarr Longsword the other day that I thought was ridiculous. The Devil's advocate side of me though, could easily see one of these freak addicts log on 5 of their characters to send someone who just killed them into the renaming room or simply to get back at the person killing them.

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject:

I agree with this. Stiehl, it wouldn't be a problem with the killing because there is no pk under level 10, and that would be the cap, so it would just have to be someone trying to pick on a newbie, and I can't easily see someone doing that unless they had a really offensive name and then they deserve it.

Name Nazis unite! *Highfive Vanisse*

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject:

I think maybe limiting this "voting ability" to cabal/coterie characters only will help keep the abuse down. I just see too much of the ooc chatroom abuse becoming an issue. But then again, I suppose that's going to be a self-limiting problem as time goes by...

:: Chatroom ::
Player 1> so I want a new char, what should I make?
P2> eh, make a fire zerker
P1> ok, done
{rolling a character, suddenly a lvl 1 fire zerker appears on the who list}
P1> aight, i'm gonna go rank

<suddenly the other 10 people in chat decide to be asses; new fire zerker gets transed to naming room after votes throw him there>

P1> wtf, guyz?!? my name's legit!!
P3> pwnz0red

Anyway... as long as proper foresight and precautions (i.e. preparing a logging system that shows which pfiles/IP addresses voted for each transferred character) are put in place, this would probably be a pretty cool system. Once the player has changed his name, he can use some sort of renaming command and gets transed back out. If his new name is still unacceptable and he/she gets re-voted back to the renaming room, he's perm-stuck until an imm approves the new name.

The only problem with that is if you get a truly <NEW> player who hasn't played AR before who immediately gets voted into the renaming room, but there aren't imms around. He/she gets stuck there, loses interest in about 2.05 seconds, and quits out and doesn't come back forever.

Eh... I dunno. I think maybe the only answer is tolerance for newbs and a persistent pbase.

0 0 0
Arishel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject:

This is where the Heralds/Mystic come in to act. Both designed to help newbs, the mystic/herald would let them know that their name was unproper for the style of this wonderful game. I'm sure based on the reply of said person you could tell if they were just being a jerk or if they're actually a complete noob. As for test characters such as Love, unity, faith, strength, etc. The Immortal I'm sure could make it to where they were NO_TRANSFER or something. If it was someone who was just trying to piss people off make their ISP like a cabal character's if they connect from the same ip with a similar stupid name. After three attempts they get booted off that character and cannot connect again until thirty minutes has passed. Yes, I do get annoyed by stupid names. That's why we have Mystics I would think.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject:

well i'd imagine (if this system was to be mystic-only) that they would initiate conversation via newbie chat to discern whether or not they were absolute newbies before transferring them, not automatic silent *Poof* You have been transferred to the Renaming Room. generally if i see someone with a stupid name they are genuinely <NEW> anyway and i let them alone/guide them to get comfortable with mudschool, speaking and other basic commands first before i whisk them off for a rename.

0 0 0
Emilise

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject:

yeah and of course if the mystic or herald sent them there, they would have to be able to pull them out so that they don't get stuck and bored.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: