Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

Awesomeness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seryie

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject:

now the question, did you save the guy because you wanted recognition or just out of the kindess of your heart? After this thread I know which one i'd pick.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject:

Yup, never a good deed that goes unpunished. Although I'd say Dobson punished himself this time, by inviting the wrath of AR's n00b contingent upon himself.

Quote:

Learn to be a humble hero. You will be respected more, and will learn that the satisfaction of doing the right thing is much better than the praise and recognition of others.

What's the difference between a humble hero and an arrogant son of a bitch hero? Both get the job done. What's respect got to do with it? Respect and humility don't put out fires - boldness and courage does. Furthermore, praise and recognition is much more satisfying than having done the right thing, if praise and recognition is what you care more about. A great number of people do, and its the driving force behind their actions for their entire lives.

Ever hear this "Do you think this hat looks good on me?" - that is the sound of your fellow man seeking your approval and not giving a damn if he even likes his hat.. and the next guy does the same thing, and the next guy, and the next guy.. where is the guy saying which hats look good? He's probably getting paid to wear it by Nike. Welcome to our sad little world of praise seekers.

This example may seem trivial but I guarantee you that there's people doing the same thing with their career, who they date.. the car they drive..

Choose between these three presidents:

a) a humble, clean living man with a model family who never does a thing wrong
b) a man that smokes weed and occassionally falls asleep in meetings
c) a man that has affairs, has smoked opium, and gambles frequently

Answers:
a) Adolf Hitler
b) Winston Churchill
c) Bill Clinton

You'll find a man with few vices has few virtues.

Quote:

You see, the difference between me and cops, soldiers, and any other people who are paid to do a job, do a job. Their reward for good deeds is money.

Have you stopped to consider the possibility that people love their work? For example, this year I decided to change my career goal to computer programmer. I've been doing this on AR for free because I enjoy it that much, its like recreation for me. That's my reward. I don't care what the paycheck is going to be. I sincerely hope that nobody is becoming a soldier purely for money - there's plenty other safer careers that pay better. Prostitution has always paid better, if you're looking for an alternative high-risk career that serves others better than yourself.

When I am looking at AR immortal applications, the number one thing I want to see in them is that this person eventually wants to do something on this game, for their own enjoyment, that will contribute to us. Look at Temple of Sreyb. That area was built for the sole purpose of gaining an imm level. Now look at the orcish mountains. Stryth spat that masterpiece out for himself. People do their work best when they love doing it. Thats the difference between working for a fee and working for fun.

Too many people view work as sacrificing yourself for money. My economics teacher told me that exact phrase a few weeks ago. I felt like going up to him and thanking him for helping me realise I need to change major back to what I wanted to do when I was 8 years old, before it got too late. Its possible to work and enjoy doing it, and why not? You will work better for it. Only thing wealth that goes beyond affording what you want is good for, is for amassing shit you don't. Or creating an inheritance for your descendants to spend.

Quote:

I think he should be congratulated and thanked for his display of an action and compassion for another human life that personally I feel more people should have..

Actually this world needs less compassion. Pity is such a monstrous emotion to feel, that I don't know how that can possibly be called a virtue. If it wasn't for compassion, there wouldn't be bums sitting on our gas stations, there wouldn't be talentless black kids taking up university seats because of some government program that guarantees them that spot and pushing out talent. Its unhealthy. The less of it the better.

There's little time for compassion in deciding to pull someone from a wreck though if you ask me. I hadn't noticed Dobson say what his motives were for doing that, or anyone attack them yet. Nor do I care what they were. I've just seen his posting about it, which resulted in a buncha people attacking him, and made a good old mess of the forum.

Quote:

when I graduate next year and commission in the Air Force, I would be able to get a job paying twice as much money, and not having to worry about moving around every 3 years. My reward is the satisfaction of knowing that I am doing something to help protect this country and it's people

So you're sacrificing your life and happiness for others? You mean, you don't actually enjoy flying fighter jets, and you're going to hate moving around a lot and not being as wealthy? Looks to me its this country that is getting all the rewards, not you. That double-pay job will be filled by somebody else in your place. If you're up for this sort of selfless sacrifice, go ahead and make a thief for level 50, AR very much needs thieves to take the sting out of rares. You get to keep the rares too, sorta like a tiny paycheck.

Quote:

But hey, it's a free country

.. with the freedom to do whatever the laws of the state permit, and, for those of us who want to get through college without a struggle, after we've signed up for selective service (I am signed up for this, because it is the only way I can afford college, and reach my goals, but I'd rather have an alternative). With a government that does things like imposing a minimum wage, imposes taxes on anything that creates wealth, and controls pretty much every aspect of our society. The media of course picks up the slack - if we want to watch TV or see a movie on sunday night, we have to swill down shit thats been designed for a wide audience (read: retards). This country is not free. It is freer than other countries, that is about all I can say about it. Europe is a lot lot worse, though only because its been established longer, and an aristocracy of inherited wealth has set in long ago. I left Europe.

Quote:

PLUS, you might get to see me on good morning america if you are lucky.

If I was your mom, I might consider myself to be.

Quote:

I had no idea there were such arrogant dipshits in the world.

I'd take the arrogant for my friends over anybody telling me how to behave and think. The arrogant like their own shit and don't care what others think about it. "Dipshit" is a term I reserve for those that don't think for themselves at all. The world is a vast ocean of that.

Quote:

did you save the guy because you wanted recognition or just out of the kindess of your heart? After this thread I know which one i'd pick.

After this thread, I know which one you'd pick too.

0 0 0
Seryie

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject:

i wasnt talking about if i was in that situation. im questioning if he did it because he wanted recognition or he really wanted to save the person out of his own good will.

not my own actions.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject:

Thats a bit of a stretch.. I'm sure he did it to help the person. Its just not the kind of thing to brag about though.. thats all.. (and not because its not a big thing, it is, its just that if someone has the ability to save someone, they are expected to as a good human being).

0 0 0
Viggs

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject:

My bad to post it here, forgot you guys were asses and not friends.[/quote]

Only smart thing you said out of this whole post! Go stand in front of 7-11 and wave your paper at them.

I took a dump today, it smelled. Tommorrow I will post my next accomplishment. Will probally involve 4:20 and cookies.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject:

I can assure you it was my intention to turn that question upon you seryie, and you've certainly confirmed what I had implied by it.

Quote:

Its just not the kind of thing to brag about ...if someone has the ability to save someone, they are expected to as a good human being

Have you considered what the consequences to the world would be if all the heros went on strike, and just drove past accidents, because of people demanding that from them?

The guy saved someone's life and he's so proud, he can't keep it in. He wants to share it. Shut your pie holes.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject:

A hero deserves attention for his great deeds (as this was), and he gets it. That is enough, he doesn't need to go around bragging about his deeds to solicit more.

He already has the recognition and support from his family and entire community, and no doubt already receives an abundance of attention.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Right, the hero has the least say in how he should behave. Just like you've already said. You don't need to keep repeating yourself, either, but don't let that stop you.

0 0 0
Enskel

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Slade wrote:
A hero deserves attention for his great deeds (as this was), and he gets it. That is enough, he doesn't need to go around bragging about his deeds to solicit more.

Heroes don't always get attention. I might otherwise object to someone drawing attention to his own heroic act, but with all the bad stuff clamoring for attention these days, letting a hero toot his own horn a bit seems worthwhile.

0 0 0
Green Elephant

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject:

For gods sake lay off Doby. He saved a someones LIFE. He's entitled to whatever bragging he wants. Whether you care or not is up to you, but certainly whatever actions he takes AFTER the fact (i.e. bragging) have absolutely NO affect on the deed he has already done. Is the man any less alive? I didn't think so.

0 0 0
Seryie

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject:

He posted on the ar forums, and he KNOWS how he gets treated. so what really did he expect? everyone to lay off him?

0 0 0
Green Elephant

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, allow me to qualify. Everyone lay off Doby regarding the subject of this thread. Feel free to continue bashing his n00bness.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

He posted on the ar forums, and he KNOWS how he gets treated. so what really did he expect? everyone to lay off him?

Right.. you're not responsible for your sickening comments, he is, because he's Dobson, and this is the ar forums, and thats the way you run things around here.

Since you've refused listen to reason, here's a little added incentive.

Forum Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING wrote:

* Do not target others for harassment

Breaking the forum rules is liable to get you banned without warning.

0 0 0
Asyndic

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Good for you Dobson. You deserve all the recognition you receive for saving a fellow human. And as for the others who are bashing at you, pay them no mind.

However, I am a bit concerned about your comment about public servants and soldiers getting paid to do what we do. Your pride in your actions don't in anyway bother me. I see heroes everyday of my life. I've seen and once or twice--Another soldier was popped between a M1A1 tank and an M-88 Maintenance track and I supplied immediate first aid to substain him until they could air evac him--helped people. But do not belittle those that have chosen to take rediculous pay and agonizing loss to see that the common man has someone to watchover and keep them safe. We DO NOT do what we do for money. We do it, or at least I do it, because there are still some people worth fighting and dying for in this country.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Let's just summarize the thread and be done with it:

Dobson did a good deed and saved someone's life. Kudos to him.

Some people think it was no big deal because they feel it should've been instinctual. Understood.

Dobson wants to be recognized for the deed. Also understood, but in bad taste. Bad Dobson.

Boiled down = good deeds, good; bragging, bad. Dav likes pie.

Can we all abort this stillborn fetus of a thread and get on with it now, please?

0 0 0
Seryie

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Yea agreed, let's move on.

0 0 0
Nick

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Burzuk is like some mystical chicken of reason who roams the threads randomly laying eggs of wisdom. His little forum nuggets are always chock-full of sound logic, providing the dimwitted with a nutritious and enlightening breakfast.

As a side note, am I the only one who can't help but picture Burzuk as that buck-toothed asian guy on "American Idol"?

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject:

"I have had no professional training in singing."

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject:

She bangs.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Oh, does she ever... and how.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: