Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 18 hours, 4 mins.

Justice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cartman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Justice

Alright, I was wandering something. Knights have to be good, Legion/Evil, but I think Justice should have to be only Neutral. Due to the fact that goods go against goods, which is blasphemy and all that fun stuff. Goods should be more dedicated to the death of Darkness, (aka Knights). Plus, Evils bring Chaos, Justice dispose of Chaos, catch my drift?

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject:

Ah, horrible thought again.
The goods don't go against goods they merely keep the laws of the land,
And evil can Doesn't always mean chaos.
You are thinking in terms of alignment, not ethos, In your terms all goods are lawful and all evils chaotic.
Think, yes please do think, it might help ye some.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject:

what about warlords, heralds, and assassins?

0 0 0
Cartman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject:

Even in keeping Justice, the Goods can and will attack other goods. Evils I can somewhat understand. But a drow dark knight should not be in Justice merely because they are all that is evil. They don't believe in Justice, only greed and power. Actually that pretty much sums up most evil classes. I could see an Elf paladin being a Justice, because they represent all that is right, but when a healer gets flagged, the paladin will throw in his damage to help kill the person quicker, in which he should be marked an outcast right away due to fighting another good.

0 0 0
Mendek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Drow justice is some of the most brutally strict you'll ever see. Read the R. A. Salvatore stuff before you go saying drow don't have justice.

0 0 0
Addreodyn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject:

In simple terms, Justice characters have decided that their lawfulness overrides their alignment when the two are in conflict.
You are defining good and evil in too narrow of terms. Learn to expand your RP beyond simple align/ethos. I decide how my character is going to act and then determine what his align/ethos should be, not the other way around.

0 0 0
Athaekeetha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: align ethos

In limited terms it can be described something like this:

Good
------
1) Lawful
- what you are describing as "good". Basically, your standard do-
gooder that never would think of doing anything wrong.

2) Neutral
- a basically "good" person who perhaps does not agree with the laws as they are set forth. They are not willing to get in trouble over breaking them, so for the most part they play along, but if they think they can get away with it they will. To break a law that they do not agree with does not contradict what they view as "good".

3) Chaotic
- a "good" person who seeks to fight evil in whatever form, whatever the cost, even if that means breaking the rules here and there. The quest to remove evil is far more important than the laws (and the laws could in fact be un-just, for instance in a kingdom ruled by an evil necromancer where there could be a law that if your name starts with B you are sentenced to death because the ruler has a lisp and cant pronounce the letter B.

Evil
----
1) Lawful
- an "evil" person who seeks as you say power and riches. However, he is willing to work within the confines of the law (or perhaps become the law himself) in order to meet his needs. For this person, time in a jail cell will work against his desires, rather than for them, so the laws are abided (or perhaps created by) this individual. This is sort of like a modern day cop that extorts money for "protection", or steals evidence, takes bribes, whatever.

2) Neutral
- a neutral "evil" follows the same sort of template as a neutral good, except they are evil. Ie, they bide their time and only break laws when they think they can get away with it. They do not flaunt their lawbreaking.

3) Chaotic
- self explanitory.. what you are defining as "evil". This is the sort of evil that knows no bounds and does whatever it takes to gain their ends (power, money, whatever). They care not a whit about what anyone else thinks or does.

These are of course very simplistic definitions, as they must be. There are no hard-and-fast rules when it comes to roleplay. You make up what you want, and fit it as closely as possible with one of the 9 possible align/ethos combinations. I wont detail the "neutral" chars here because they are much alike to what I've already shown. Hope that helps.

0 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject:

Mendek, you are like the n00b cannon of Forgotten Realms. Seriously, holy shit. Are you perhaps, a novice to the arts of understanding? Do you know who the drow worship in Forgotten Realms? The evil Drow who live underground? They worship Lloth, the Spider Queen, also known as the Lady of Chaos. I want to hit you now. This is the second time you got Forgotten Realms wrong. The noble houses overthrow each other all the time, and it's allowed, as long as they don't leave any surviving members of the other noble house. The nobles can beat the crap out of whoever they please, if they're not noble. Commoners, slaves, they kill them all on whims, that guy looked at me funny, bam. They encourage deceit and underhandedness. Shit, Drows shouldn't be able to be lawful. I keep looking back at your post to see if there's something there to suggest you were being sarcastic, but no, it looks like you're buying good books and letting them go to waste. They are strict like I'm not a virgin. Overthrowing and killing your own mother to assume control of a noble House is expected common practice. Killing another Wizard with a dagger in the back because you couldnt beat him in a spell duel, is expected common practice. That's like there being a priest of Helm who is all about the crazy mad orgies and random knivings on the street. You make my head hurt through your lack of understanding. Any Justice drows have is a hollow mockery of true Justice as compared to what is expected on AR. a Drow Justice would snap and break those rules in about 5 seconds. "Oh, here's 5000 gold, go stand outside while I kill this guy? Thanks" Or "Oh shit, you saw that? Here's a mace of unholy spirits, how about you unflag me now? thanks." Never again shall you speak unknowingly, because I did my best to censor myself from being a flame, and I'm gonna let slip the dogs of war next time.[/quote]

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject:

Quote:

The noble houses overthrow each other all the time, and it's allowed, as long as they don't leave any surviving members of the other noble house.

That's an example of a law. Drows can be lawful. Their law system just happens to be "brutally strict", just like Mendek said. Drows what you get when you take elves, and disfigure everything they're reknown for into something that is pretty horrific in its similarity. When the new drow area I've written is added into AR, you'll be seeing the drow laws I wrote for it inside the city office, as I am intending to reinforce the lawful drow concept. Obviously their laws won't apply to Seringale.

0 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject:

No, that's dumb, because powerful enough houses are completely exempt even if they do a sloppy enough job of the takeover, if they have enough allies. If you ever read Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn, specifically the first book, someone survived the massacre of their family, yet they couldn't come right out and claim anything, because it was said Drizzt's family was too powerful to drag down with just his accusation, and he'd likely just be silenced. That's very loosely enforced laws. That's not strict at all. That's like, if a tiny tiny house, like, the 80th house, overthrowed the 79th, and f'ed it up, well, they're not even the top 8 houses, so who gives a shit? House 79 is all but dead, House 80 botched the job,everyone kill House 80, House 81 absorbs the remainders of house 79, all happy. If they were strict, they'd have no exceptions. If the Baenre family was bored and started killing the Second house, and didnt finish the job, it's very unlikely people would be like, hey, hey you, you were sloppy, we're gonna tear you apart now. Nope, wouldn't happen, then have Bregan D'aerthe or whatever Jarlaxle's band of rogue's are called, and they have an illithid to back them up, and they have a shitload of high priestesses, and are the favored house for thousands of years. No one would touch them. Those are not strict laws. It's like how rich famous people get off easy when it counts.

strict ( P ) Pronunciation Key (strkt)
adj. strict·er, strict·est
Precise; exact: a strict definition.
Complete; absolute: strict loyalty.
Kept within narrowly specific limits: a strict application of a law.
Rigorous in the imposition of discipline: a strict parent.
Exacting in enforcement, observance, or requirement: strict standards. See Synonyms at severe.
Conforming completely to established rule, principle, or condition: a strict vegetarian.
Botany. Stiff, narrow, and upright.

Drows have the pick and choose law, some are exempt, even though it's not written anywhere that they're supposed to be exempt. The term for that is selective, discriminating, law.

Quote:
That's an example of a law. Drows can be lawful. Their law system just happens to be "brutally strict", just like Mendek said.

Obviously, not f'ing brutally strict, drow law. Numbnuts. Bow down to the Forgotten Realms Master, you sick lot of barely force inclined padawans.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject:

Obviously I was referring to AR drows, when I mentioned that they're going to be a brutally strict type of law system. Because when I decided their laws, and wrote their history helpfiles, I didn't want to just rip off Forgotten Realms.

So let me get this straight, you're telling everyone that a society that prevents males from having important jobs, has no laws?

Quote:

It's like how rich famous people get off easy when it counts.

Now you're saying the real world has no laws either. Okay.

Quote:

Numbnuts. Bow down to the Forgotten Realms Master, you sick lot of barely force inclined padawans.

ad hominem: Latin for "to the man." An arguer who uses ad hominems attacks the person instead of the argument. Whenever an arguer cannot defend his position with evidence, facts or reason, he or she may resort to attacking an opponent either through: labeling, straw man arguments, name calling, offensive remarks and anger.

Thanks for your valued feedback about drows, I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Everybody seems to be placing too much emphasis on the word 'law' in the word 'lawful.' Everybody automatically assigns the label of "lawful = Justice-friendly" to any character that has a lawful ethos.

Lawful alignments (in most gaming systems) simply refer to the fact that the character believes and adheres to A set of rules or guidelines in a certain aspect of their life, not necessarily "city law." How do you think rangers are allowed to be lawful? They're supposed to be one of the ultimate anti-organized law classes, being strongly opposed to city life and city law structures. However they follow the 'code' of the forest, laws of nature and such. It's not "law"ful according to a Justice, but it's still a set of rules and laws that govern the life of a ranger.

Honestly, I think a good way to RP a ranger in AR would be to be ignorant of the law entirely. You walk up on a corpse, you butcher it. The Justice flags or fines you, and you RP total ignorance, stating that it was a perfectly good piece of meat just lying around that nobody else was using. You'd do the same in the forest, so why wouldn't you in the city (which you're not supposed to be familiar/comfortable with in the first place)? This could be expounded on greatly, but I'll leave it alone here for the simple sake of argument.

As for drow, they also have a set of guidelines and rules. As already said above, their society is extremely rich in behavioral rules and laws that describe how the drow hierarchical monarchies interact with one another, but it's not recognized as "city law." Doesn't mean it's any less 'lawful,' does it?

For the purposes of understanding 'lawful' in relation to AR, here's what the game says when choosing an ethos for a new character:
Quote:
* Lawful means that you respect the laws of the towns and
will be adhering to them at ALL times. (Listed in HELP LAW)
WARNING: Penalties for lawful breach are severe. NO vigilantes.

Laws of the towns, that's it. But the word 'lawful' is defined as:
lawful wrote:
Being within the law; allowed by law: lawful methods of dissent.
Established, sanctioned, or recognized by the law: the lawful heir.
Obeying the law; law-abiding.

And the word 'law' is defined as:
law wrote:
A rule of conduct or procedure established by custom, agreement, or authority.

Another definition:
law wrote:
A code of principles based on morality, conscience, or nature

So by those definitions, someone who is 'lawful' is someone that obeys 'rules of conduct established by custom or authority,' meaning those that obey city law (authority) and drow (custom), or someone that obeys 'a code of principles based on morality, conscience, or nature,' such as a ranger.

It's really up to the Imps how loosely they want 'lawful' defined, but as I quoted above, 'lawful' in the game probably refers only to city laws (aka 'Justice laws')... but I'll happily be corrected if they wish to recognize rangers/drow/etc. as 'lawful' if RP'ed correctly.

0 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject:

You were supporting Mendek's saying of drows being brutally strict, which he used Forgotten Realms drows as an example. Which, is false. I've explained this.

Quote:

Quote:

It's like how rich famous people get off easy when it counts.

Now you're saying the real world has no laws either. Okay.

No, I said rich people get off when it counts. if O.J. hadn't been famous and rich enough to afford the best lawyers, he would have gone to jail. Sure, he had to pay his 20,000 Bell Express Vu cable bill that he was pirating, but when it comes to the big stuff, if they're willing to sacrifice enough money, they can almost always get off, thanks for completely misquoting me though.

Quote:

So let me get this straight, you're telling everyone that a society that prevents males from having important jobs, has no laws?

Gromph Baenre, Archmage of the city. He summoned High Priestesses to him, and they came. He's one of the most powerful wizards in Menzoberranzan, probably the only single person more powerful then him is Matron Baenre, and then his sister Triel when she became Matron Baenre. Actually, almost all of the real powerful drow mages are males. And where there are no High Priests of Lloth, only High Priestesses, males hold power if they're of noble blood, they can command the female commoners under them, and some of the lesser noble houses females too. Jarlaxle, he can make or break any House with his support or vocal lack of support. Among the commoners, females reign supreme, usually. But among the nobles it's completely different. And why does that even have to do with laws? That's just the general unspoken rule due to the fact female drows tend to be taller and more built then male drows, which is opposite of most other races. Male Orcs boss around Female Orcs, because they're bigger then the Females, and the Females dont do anything but cook and breed. Does that mean the Orcs are big on laws? No, not really, they kill each other and steal from each other and it's common practice.

Quote:

Quote:

Numbnuts. Bow down to the Forgotten Realms Master, you sick lot of barely force inclined padawans.

ad hominem: Latin for "to the man." An arguer who uses ad hominems attacks the person instead of the argument. Whenever an arguer cannot defend his position with evidence, facts or reason, he or she may resort to attacking an opponent either through: labeling, straw man arguments, name calling, offensive remarks and anger.

Thanks for your valued feedback about drows, I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

Yeah, notice how I placed out all my supporting evidence further up in the post and then used my finishing statement to tell you off for saying that crap? Yeah. And you're welcome for the valuable feedback about drows, since you seem to not know a whole lot about them yourself.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject:

I was supporting Mendek's saying drows as being brutally strict, therefore they can be lawfuls in the Abandoned Realms setting. His Forgotten Realms example may have been inappropriate, but then so are yours, as they are all equally irrelevant to the discussion of lawful drow on AR. If you would like to argue that drows are not lawful in Forgotten Realms, go ahead and do so on a Forgotten Realms forum. If we're talking about AR, then you telling me that drows shouldn't be lawful here is about as constructive as me telling R.Salvatore to fix the errors he's made in his adaptation of them, in his quest for filling pages and bringing in book sales to put food on his table.

Go ahead and point out where I've defended any interpretation he's made of Forgotten Realms, I'd like to see that. All I remember doing is sniping a few contradictions in your arguments, which conveniently you have been ignoring, and stating as clearly as I could (without passing the point of stupidity) that I was talking about AR's drows.

Quote:

Male Orcs boss around Female Orcs, because ... <snip>

Male Orcs won't attack people in Seringale, because if they do, it is punished by murder. So by your accounts, Justices aren't lawful either.

So you jumped into a Justice discussion to crusade against some irrelevant misuse of Forgotten Realms, and you aren't actually trying to get lawful drows removed from AR?

0 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject:

Essentially, yes, and the only reason it went any further then that is you decided to comment on my remarks towards Mendek, which were about his lack of knowledge towards Forgotten Realms, and how you thought he was right about them being brutally strict, and even said,
Quote:

Their law system just happens to be "brutally strict", just like Mendek said.

which would imply you agreed with his assessment about Forgotten Realms.
And then your follow-ups about how a society where females lord over males obviously has laws, which I explained did not. If you want to let drows be lawful, whatever, though I suppose I don't think they should be, I hardly care enough to crusade against it. But I do feel strongly about mis-representing Forgotten Realms, and will bring anyone to task about it if they do.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject:

I'll forgive the misunderstanding of my post, but your worst error is the fallacies you're using, all of which are derived from errors in understanding. In particular, using "ad hominem" is against forum rules. But the most serious, and unfortunately also the most common fallacy I see on this forum, is the tendency people seem to fall victim to "confirmation bias", which I think is what reading Forgotten Realms may have done to you. But that mess is up to you to sort out. Be wary it doesn't happen to you with AR.

0 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject:

Misunderstanding on whose part? But whatever, some people don't like to admit they made a mistake or phrased something the wrong way. It's always got to be the other guys fault. But hey, I'm sure it IS the other guys fault. So all is well.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject:

Well obviously the misunderstanding is on your end, as I know full well what I wrote and what I meant. You tell me what sense it makes to follow up with something said about forgotten realms with a specific AR reference, because I don't know. It'd be pretty dumb. If I was arguing about forgotten realms, I'd be quoting from situations inside that, considering there's 200 books of the stuff, NOT from AR.

0 0 0
Hrash

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject:

*DING DING DING*
Davairus vs. Astinor..who will win?
One has the power to ban/block/slay/screw over everyone on AR and AR forum. The other?.....?.....?.....?

From what I see, Astinor is a huge huge Forgotten Realms fan who will rip out the ball sacks of anyone who screws with his love. As Davairus pointed out, this is AR, not Forgotten Realms. If you wanna discuss what drows do in Forgotten Realms, go play a Forgotten Realms mud. His mud, his rules, his ideas.

0 0 0
Viggs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject:

Yes I agree, Thieves should get hellstream.
Shite wrong forum
Bonk!

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: