Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

A who list with no titles
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject:

So get rid of race, class, title..name... might as well just log out and "play" real life.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject:

http://au.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/gamespotting/071103minusworld/1.html

Quote:
Real Life: The Full Review

GameSpot Review

Volumes have already been written about real life, the most accessible and most widely accepted massively multiplayer online role-playing game to date. Featuring believable characters, plenty of lasting appeal, and a lot of challenge and variety, real life is absolutely recommendable to those who've grown weary of all the cookie-cutter games that have tried to emulate its popularity--or to just about anyone, really.

Real life isn't above reproach. In one of the stranger design decisions in the game, for some reason you have no choice in determining your character's initial starting location, appearance, or gender, which are chosen for you seemingly at random [...]

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject:

...how did it get such a high review?

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't say get rid of titles. I would say get rid of class specific titles. People love fluff. If you were to have some type of system where a player's actions become how they are known. If, for example, a player pked a lot (5 pks, 10 pks, etc), they would have the ability to go to a herald or maybe the tavern or wherever, and have earned the right to choose a title of the Slayer (or something), if they had 10 pks maybe they had a choice of a more cool sounding title. Also, this could be tied to general accomplishments, like Vanquisher of Gasteride or Cleanser of Winter. People would effectively unlock a large number of titles and have a choice in which they may want displayed. Perhaps attach a fee to the changing of titles. There are so many options that could be explored with this. Heal an elf over 10,000 hps and be an Elf Friend, get 10 death blows with your hand to hand attacks - Merciless Pummeler of Innocents or Wrong Doers. Just a moment of inspiration, though I am sure, many people will not see it. Oh...don't get rid of names either...that would be maybe a step to far.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject:

The really cool titles should be realm first only!

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject:

I'd like an additional wholist that gave just a name output.

WHO
5 players
Clifton, Slade, Pip, Groq, and Erlwith.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject:

This, unlike many of the things I post here, received some positive responses. Did the IMM staff have any interest in exploring this idea?

0 0 0
Viggs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject:

no

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Titles, race, names, etc, will always be included on the who list. We will never adopt a who list like the one proposed.

As for an "opting in" or something like that so a heavy RPer CAN change his who list to that, is completely up to Dav. It might be an option at some point, but it would be so far down the priority list, that the only thing that is less time sensitive is any change I have proposed for necromancers.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject:

key word there is "some". I didn't really want to post my own rebuke because generally I expect players to disagree with an idea like this anyways.

The central theme of the game is rp-pvp.... a marriage of the two. While its ok to have some "dirt" for colour (i.e. things that dont' strictly adhere to - or distract from - the games central theme), having too much is bad, it makes difficult to learn the game and to figure out what the game theme even is. This kinda idea is something which you would typically find already in a non-pk mud, like a mush. I mean sure, we could take out who pk, but then we'd have to take out level-restriction on pk, and just allow anyone to kill anyone else. That's realism too. So is evils grouping with goods to "use" them for exp, and kill them later - I dont know how fun you'd find that, but I remember one or two bad mudconnector reviews just from it happening to neutrals that grouped with evils. In other words, for various reasons (mainly the fact players can nuke each other) its better to have evil/good distinctly identifiable, and its the same with classes because of the preparation required for a fight.

The moral of the story is realism is a desirable quality but gameplay comes first.

0 0 0
Thorgoth
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject:

wait..so you are telling me there is a world outside of AR?

...geez, stick that in your pipe and smoke it

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: