Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 19 hours.

Descriptions in AR
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Descriptions in AR

I was hoping to get some consistency in regard to what is acceptable and not acceptable for descriptions. Our current help file for descriptions indicates:

Your description should not describe detailed clothing. Describing dark
leather armor with glowing sigils, when you're wearing red dragon armor
would be out of place. If you were to say "His armor has been let out
a bit at the waist to accomodate his girth" This would accentuate the
fact the character is overweight, without telling you how it actually looks.
Small personal effects, such as trinkets and jewelry, are permitted in a
limited quantity.

Your description should contain no actions of any sort (e.g. Davairus
says hello when you look at him) and it should not tell the reader how
they feel or what they think. It should not describe your personality
or your history. These should be left to your interactions with the
other players inside the game world.

I adhere to these description rules and have been called out when I have not and been asked to make changes. That being said, I see SO many descriptions saying I hear something or see something or feel a certain way when a person comes into the room. As a player for immersion, I find that distracting that every time I look at someone I hear a boom or smell something.

Could we make description evaluation consistent based upon the rules in help description or take out the need for a description to be evaluated, since the evaluation is subjective, not based upon rules as written.

1 0 0
lionSpyre

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:34 pm    Post subject:

I made a point about this a while ago as well and I totally agree. I find it a very overt intrusion of my immersion when someone tells me how I'm feeling or where I'm looking. There's some leeway there (smell and sound don't require you to specifically focus on them in order to pick them up). But for the sake of RP, PLEASE stop telling me how I feel or where I'm looking in your description. Is there a description-stickler among the Imms or in the Consortium bold enough to thwart these reckless immersion breakers?

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:54 pm    Post subject:

One other thing to keep in mind about descriptions - you look the same regardless of whether you are standing/in combat/sleeping/etc. so including actions is a bad idea. Also, having them meet the viewer's gaze makes no sense when they are asleep or the viewer is concealed (invisible etc.) in a way that the character cannot see.

We've had somewhat notable characters who did not meet the standards properly - there was a duergar druid who tagged along with Eurayel in the distant past whose description included metallic equipment and it was obvious that not enough thought was put into the character's description.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:42 pm    Post subject:

ChatGPT is writing a lot of descriptions/backgrounds.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:28 pm    Post subject:

I consistently make people remove actions and anything that involves someone else's thoughts or feelings. If you see someone's desc that breaks those rules and it's bothering you, report them. At the very least it might get some oversight on who's approving descs with illegal stuff in it. Just be sure you are reading the other files referenced in help desc ie desc2 etc.

0 0 0
Kornhole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:39 pm    Post subject:

I am a mixed bag on this. I agree wholeheartedly with actions not being allowed. But if you go too far into the "Immersion"....one could never even add eye color (what if I look at you when you are asleep, oh man.....my immersion!?!?!?). Oh man, I looked at his ghost, and it said his clothes and armor were well kempt......my immersion!?!?!?) Not disagreeing at all that it has seem to have gotten subjective, and some descriptions that I think have many RULE breaks in them get approved. There was an elevated description not too awful long ago that broke a description rule. Would be nice to see it more uniform.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject:

I hear you guys complaining about people's descriptions being against the description room/helpfile "guidelines". However, it kinda sounds like its coming from a position of grievance rather than actually giving much of a fuck about this. i.e. I had to fix my desc to remove my deerstalker hat, so Bob the warrior needs to.

Some descs break every guideline on *very* high profile characters and nobody ever said a thing about it.

Case in point, this one:
https://abandonedrealms.com/players/display.php?name=taurth

Code:

As you gaze into this stone's eyes he gives you a feeling of balance and
courage. He seems to wear a pair of topaz black earrings on his ears, they
start humming as he slants toward you. His brushy eyebrows curve around his
head like a falcon striking from the air. He wears a circlet upon his head,
covered with skulls and bones, giving him his power. His shoulders are
weighed down be the spiked black plates he wears upon them. On his left arm
you see a mark, a mark of the Fury Fists. Coiled around his right arm is an
emerald dragon, reaching up to his neck to become a sturdy shield. Upon his
chest you see a steel spiked chain mail, engraved upon it is a cobra resting
on a muscular arm. He wears yet more steel spiked leg plates gleaming with
energy, and protecting him from weak magics. On his right cap you see a
small birthmark, a mark of what seems like a rattlesnake on top of a fallen
warrior. He wears steel boots with wings upon his feet, to travel great
distances beyond the realms. Even though he seems tired and wounded, he
will take up any and all challenges faced upon him. You sense no magical
enhancements on his body, he seems to have rid himself of any and all magic.
His veins pop once again as madness surrounds him unleashing his ultimate
strength.

You can see the first line alone literally is "he gives you a feeling of balance and courage." and it goes on to describe a load of badass gear. The description obviously looks like a decked out berserker.

Even though the desc breaks the guidelines quite overtly, I think on reading it that I can tell the player actually enjoyed writing the desc and likely also felt it something to be proud of, and it is not riddled with mistakes or typos. We all know if you were looking at Taurth that all you were going to see is a wall of titanium badassery underneath that desc, the same old badass titanium he had on his previous 50 identically titanium'd out characters, and he's used the desc as opportunity to make up for lack of customization in the gear. Intuitively it does not seem totally wrong to do that, just taking things at face value here, and it looks like an NPC that would fit in the world of AR. But he couldve absolutely been asked to rewrite that.

Not to pick on him specifically but for examples sake.

We typically crack down on people who have done a really bad job (including no desc). I do read loads of really bad descs, and it becomes a blur after a while and I'm just screening based on whether I felt like it was totally abysmal or obviously OOC. But I have also showed plenty of these descriptions that I thought were good to people who I know enjoy reading books, and what I'd generally hear is they are awful to read, bad grammar, typos, etc.. it sounded like even the best ones are still not adding any appeal to the game at all.

I'll also say this. the chatGPT thing is probably a good idea for most of us, in fact might equally be a good tool for us to use to help analyze whether descriptions fit the guidelines.

I just used chatGPT to generate a stone giant berserker desc (I literally pasted it the desc guidelines and said give me a desc) and it gave me this in like 2 seconds.

Code:

With massive stone fists clenched around a colossal maul, the giant emerges, its form as ancient and weathered as forgotten ruins.
An imposing figure, its broad shoulders dwarf even the tallest trees, its legs like ancient pillars of stone.
Radiant amber eyes, burning like molten gold deep within its cavernous sockets, pierce the darkness with an otherworldly intensity.
Moss clings stubbornly to the rough surface of its head and shoulders, swaying gently in the faintest breeze.
A constant tremor vibrates through the earth, a silent echo of the berserker rage that simmers beneath its stony exterior.
Scarred and weathered, a jagged fissure runs across its brow, a testament to countless battles fought and won.
Tucked beneath a thick leather hide, a single, polished obsidian shard rests proudly, a silent trophy of past victories.
Even in repose, the giant exudes an aura of raw power, a force of nature barely contained.
Radiating with an otherworldly presence, the stone giant berserker stands as an imposing sentinel, a force to be reckoned with.

imagine you just read that after a million trash desc and are trying to decide whether that is worth gold or not... (also incase you missed it, look at the first letter of every line)

2 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:21 pm    Post subject:

I think maybe the point is, we have description rules, we have people who approve descriptions not taking those rules into consideration. Either get the people who approve on the same page or get rid of/modify the help description. This way you don’t have some people who just hit the approve button and others having a 10 minute discussion about placement of punctuation.

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Please provide specific examples.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:17 pm    Post subject:

From the rules:
Your description should contain no actions of any sort (e.g. Davairus
says hello when you look at him) and it should not tell the reader how
they feel or what they think. It should not describe your personality
or your history. These should be left to your interactions with the
other players inside the game world.

Descriptions that are in the GY or have been distinguished:
"Looking about this place, you can't help but notice the little gnome
standing before you."
"Breaking your eye contact, you look over the rest of his face."
"A tension fills the air around her of magic ready to be bent to her whim. It causes her blond hair to wave constantly as if caught in a wind. "
"Several more warts have nestled themselves on either side of
her nose, one in particular appearing ready to pop. Your attention is then
drawn to a small pustule just below her left cheekbone, perhaps a wart that
did pop, as it secretes something vile."
"The only challenge to the elf's beauty is a series of brands that begin near
her left temple and trail down her jawline. They correspond to celestial
landmarks in the Serin skyline. The faint glimmer that pulses behind them
suggests a motion that should be impossible."
"You espy that she is in fact a female of the race, uncommonly seen in these realms. "
"The disparity of the colours of this females features are the first thing
you notice about her."
"You notice a tattoo of red and black on her left hand showing to be an eye
surrounded by a ring of fire. "

Why do I notice these things, why are they the first things I notice and therefore everyone notices, why does my character know that your hair blows in a constellation, breaking my eye contact - i wasnt making eye contact...etc.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:02 pm    Post subject:

I get your point, and I feel like I am turning into a bit of a desc nazi myself. This is because, I was careless at the beginning and if I thought it was cool I commended it, without regard to the rules, and Vanisse and Vevier set me straight. Now, I am much more conscientious of it and tend to probably go a little overboard on what's allowed and not allowed.

Heck, I remember my first interaction as an imm. Do you know what it involved? It involved the person I was talking to asking why it was ok for me to do it if they couldn't do it, causing me to rewrite my desc at the same time they did. I am much more considerate about my descs after that experience.

1 0 0
Mogu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:43 am    Post subject:

I understand why the rules are what they are but I am also of the mindset that we're playing a text game and some suspension of disbelief should be expected. Descriptions with that sort of language and detail often add depth and flavor. It allows the player to describe the character more vividly and enriches your perception of the character. It's a slippery slope though and there should be a line between acceptable and unacceptable, even if it's blurred. All that to say I am fine with it being slightly subjective and at the discretion of Immortals.

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:44 am    Post subject:

Cool so we have actual examples to dig into now.

There are a couple in that list there that seem a bit of a stretch to have in the desc, e.g. "looking around you notice a gnome", "looking over blah's face you blah blah", and the breaking eye contact thing . I actually recognized that desc, it is Wylsin

https://abandonedrealms.com/players/display.php?name=Wylsin

Here is the full thing:
Code:

Looking about this place, you can't help but notice the little gnome
standing before you.  He has one bright green eye that seems to seek yours
out.  Where the other eye should be there is simply smooth skin. 

Breaking your eye contact, you look over the rest of his face.  A short,
almost button-like nose sits right in the center.  His lips have a slight
orange-ish hue to them, and when he talks his teeth are dazzlingly white.  He
has curly red hair, and when he turns his head it seems to shimmer as
though a great heat were emanating from him.

this mort was considered a very high RP character and in close contact with Vevier and the rest of the consortium contingent, frankly, the kind of character who would be looked toward for what is a perfectly fine desc, and part of the RP "elite".

Obviously, I can recognize those are putting repetitive actions into the descs that the viewer has to perform every time they look at the character. I don't see where that is really being covered by the guidelines we have in place here, though perhaps it could have been. At least it is not gold trimmed.

The warty one is kind of a gross out, it probably did not need that much detail, but a writer is trying to evoke an emotion and it seems to do it. Other than being arguably too vile (which for AR's theme, leans toward horror, so therefore probably isnt true), it could be criticized because it tells you that you are examining a wart which you probably wouldnt be doing. There was a new command added in the last patch "extend" which could be used to add extra detail onto a wart, and that would solve that issue in short order.

https://abandonedrealms.com/help/search.php?search=extend

But there seems literally nothing wrong with this - "You notice a tattoo of red and black on her left hand showing to be an eye surrounded by a ring of fire.". .... we dont have any objections in the guidelines to having small tattoos. I wouldnt even bother to add an extension for that. It falls under small cosmetics like trinkets and tiny pieces of jewelry.

That's why I said bring specific examples.

its easy to say guidelines arent enforced but its not realistic to expect imms to read thousands of half-assed shitty descs and not end up unconscious on auto-pilot eventually. Also, you can have the threat of being punished for breaking guidelines, but that'll only motivate a guy to do just enough to not get slain. I would argue that doing this well is in fact very much cultural.. meaning veterans need to lead. its very strongly a community culture thing where peer pressure plays a biggest part in how good the descriptions are.

We can probably leverage the AI in the next month or two to get better screening processes in place for the ones we want to give gold to.

1 0 0
ivindel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:08 am    Post subject:

"why so serious?", but really, why so serious?

For me, I would very much prefer to read a description that is rich in describing the character's features (with flair), just as if I am reading a paragraph from a good fantasy novel introducing a new character for the first time, than to read some monotoned and boring description which I will probably just stop reading halfway.
Honestly, when I am examining the armor that a character wears, I am normally just counting in my head how much hit/dam or hp/saves this guy has. Personally, I want to see within the description itself words that describe to me how magnificent the armor (light bouncing off the armor and piercing my eyes or whatnot) looks, because the bloody titanium fullplate that I see him wearing is simply just a 'titanium fullplate'.

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject:

Umm.... so anyway. I attempted gemini desc screening tonight and results were thoroughly terrible (they are both wildly inaccurate and the API takes way too long to respond) which means we are definitely stuck with this situation for a while.

Code:

Looking about this place, you can't help but notice the little gnome standing before you.  He has one bright green eye that seems to seek yours out.  Where the other eye should be there is simply smooth skin.  Breaking your eye contact, you look over the rest of his face.  A short, almost button-like nose sits right in the center.  His lips have a slight orange-ish hue to them, and when he talks his teeth are dazzlingly white.  He has curly red hair, and when he turns his head it seems to shimmer as though a great heat were emanating from him.
task assigned is
State which guidelines this description breaks.

response from gemini is:...

It breaks guideline 3 because it mentions the character has curly red hair.  This is a detailed aspect of clothing.

It also breaks guideline 4 because it mentions that the character's hair shimmers.  This is an action."

absolutely atrocious.

On reflection of this thread, I also think the approach of criticizing the Imms for making mistakes is completely out of order for several reasons.

1) considering they are all volunteering free time to do this. Imms don't even write those descs. give them a break.

2) I think only reason you are complaining about these descs right now is because I recently made a way to make it way way easier for imms to find and approve the desc in a timely manner. which unleashed a MASSIVE backlog on the imms. if we were only reading 1-2 new desc a week it would be understandable to criticize that. But the reality is we have been drinking from a firehose of late, and the pig needs to pass through the python. that means some descs that arent that badass might have got gilded because they were seen amongst 20+ utter shit ones. that will not last. So just try to be patient and give that a chance to get under control and closer scrutiny. and similarly, if you are writing a desc, dont rush it just because its surge and you have to get something done before level 15 which you powered through in 10 minutes and have a really good group.

0 0 0
lionSpyre

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:13 am    Post subject:

For my part, I’ll also try to be more specific here. My beef is with two things specifically in a description: telling me where I’m looking and telling me how I feel.

1) telling me where I’m looking - I should have been more specific here earlier. I dont mind a description telling me, “you notice blah blah blah…” because likely, if I’m reading your description, I’m taking the time to notice things about your character. What I mean here is if someone is telling me that I’m looking “up at you”, “down at you”, watching you “emerge from the shadows”, etc. this, in my opinion, is a description that’s written with a lack of regard for someone else’s RP. There are pretty simple ways to write if someone is tall, short, or stealthy without indicating where or how you have to look to see them.

2) telling me how I feel - this one bothers me far more. Don’t tell me that I’m awestruck by you. Don’t tell me I’m shaking in terror at the sight of you. Again - you’re violating my RP by putting feelings into my character that likely aren’t there. You can invoke feelings of awe or fear without putting those words or feelings directly into the observers brain.

I don’t mind if someone is invoking actions like laughter, casting spells, etc. in a description - I think this just provides more context and flavor for how someone might observe this character, and as mentioned in this thread, it shows someone clearly had fun writing it. You could say someone “emerging from the shadows” is also an action… but the subtle difference here is that you’re telling me that I was looking at the shadows, not your character.

Regarding asking Imms to screen for this, it sounds like that’s a huge ask given the number of descriptions that are created in this game. I like the note that this is a cultural things that veterans can push, but other than being a member of the Consortium, how does a veteran enforce this other than leading by example? Are you expecting reports on people? Because I feel that might create more unwanted work for you. Only Consortium members (as mortals) to my knowledge can directly interact with a player to discuss their description. Otherwise people have to be clever about directly referring to a description that they read without breaking RP.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject:

Yes report them. At the least we will have a history built up of what is bothering players about descs, and identify if it is worth treating with a higher priority. We have reporting for rules and we can have reports for descs too. the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

there are only 2 active player descriptions that contain the word "feel", and one of those characters is on life support, so this doesnt seem like actually been a huge problem. Its seems like a big fat nothingburger. So I will say it again, provide specific examples please. Thanks

0 0 0
Kornhole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Dav, I think you are getting a little triggered. It is not as though the OP said IMMS Suck, AR sucks, wah! It seemed to me as a justified question. Can we get rid of desc approvals, or can we make sure all the people who are approving do so on an even keel. I don't think this was intended as a criticism.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Thank you @kornhole. You summed ALL of that nicely.

0 0 0
lionSpyre

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:18 pm    Post subject:

I don't know if Dav is getting triggered as much as he is coming to the forums with a mission: identify the problem and produce a solution.

To be clear, this isn't something that's rampant and out of hand (apologies for my early jest... sarcasm can be hard to convey through a forum post). It's something that occasionally crops up that makes me wince and breaks my immersion. It's a minor problem, but a problem nonetheless.

I'm completely satisfied with calling on (veteran) players to report when they see these things in descriptions. No action needed from the Imms, just a call to players to report it when they see it.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: