Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

throw...throw...throw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whatnow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: throw...throw...throw

i have a ranger and i kept trying this: 'throw wield'/'throw dual'
BUT it keeps missing its target. After about 10-15 tries and all failed attempts, I throw my shield and it makes contact...

can anyone explain this to me

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject:

How about this one.. how is a ranger able to hit an invis'ed, hidden ninja with throw? Not cool.

0 0 0
DropThat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject:

well because of keen sight they can see both hidden and invis. thats another skill that makes them so useful in parties or on their own... however I think thats a little unbalanced if ninjas can only hide in certain places. they're trained to hide and move silently anywhere, I mean come on..

and thanks to this post i just obtained active player under my name. muwahahahaha

I dont know why its so cool....

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject:

The hidden part of keen sight only works on mobs. NOT players. If you have been able to see a hidden player you have uncovered a bug. Rangers have AOE in the form of call lightning to pull ninjas and thieves out of hiding.

0 0 0
ssgtortho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject:

I don't know why people use throw in the first place. First of all, it eliminates a shield (a potent defence). Second, I have never seen throw do much damage. The ONLY time I have ever used throw was when I was removing a shield to dual wield a weapon. I throw the shield- some damage is better than none at all.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject:

If someone is at pretty hurt and you throw your weapon at them, especially if its hitting a vuln, chances are they will pop their clogs, especially if its a drow shaman.. and you can put them low health real quick with two pets, dirt, and dual wield. Just throw a mithril axe or something. Same goes for ivy swords in avians backsides. Vulns are strong enough to make lots of "gimp" stuff work out real nice.

0 0 0
Graves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: The Uses of Throw

Lets see here...throw is essential to a ranger in a couple of aspects. Yes you can use throw to eliminate a weapon to switch to another but why lag yourself like a moron? Throw is essential cause of one factor and that is throwing a shield can lag the person you are fighting. Rangers have no lagging abilities like bash/bodyslam/trip/air thrash. Of course its a risk to throw your shield and lag yourself for a couple of rounds without the shield defense, but say the foe is badly hurt, and you know he/she will probably flee soon, why not throw your shield for a chance to lag them?

Another use of throw, not a great use, but say you have no more mana for a call lightning, that extra DEMOLISH in a throw can help give you the edge in a close fight. And the last use for a throw, and its beautiful how people don't read the forum topics cause some tibits like this will help you and that is throw is good to exploit the vulnerabilities of a race. Say you fight a drow, why not throw a mithril sword? Or how about you fight a fire, ever seen the damage on a thrown icicle? Almost every race has a vulnerability in the game, why not use everything you can to win a fight?

Of course throw will leave you without a weapon/shield, but its the balance of the game that makes it so worthwhile. If like in the first age when you can throw a heron-mark blade and it will still be in your hands, its a bit unbalance don't you think? Rangers already have charmies, the arsenal of a warrior, plus area affecting spells, camo, campfire, etc. etc. So giving them an indirect lagging type skill with great risks is just too damn good in my opinion. I'm not surprised by how many people will start thinking/complaining about how useless a skill/spell is when they don't use it. Its like saying charge is useless.[/list]

Um...seems me and Dav posted around the same time, didn't see your reply there. Also, What's this title under my name "New but with a clue"?
Ahahaah.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
... ... Or how about you fight a fire, ever seen the damage on a thrown icicle? ... ...

Ouch.. I've seen it a few times when i still had my ranger. Just mastered throw in elementals and saw a shaman sleeping under south square, so I went and threw a fine mithril sword.. ouch. And he was at big nasty.

0 0 0
Gygh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re:

I don't know if I read this wrong or what, but I see:

Quote:
however I think thats a little unbalanced if ninjas can only hide in certain places. they're trained to hide and move silently anywhere, I mean come on..

Do you seriously think that rangers can camo anywhere? Hell I'd love that, but they can only use pathfinding everywhere, and maybe silent movement. I usuallly don't pay attention to that. Throw lags (not long enough), and does decent damage... Thats the point of throw.

*Edit* Couldn't get that stupid quote button to work...

0 0 0
Brains

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject:

Tip for the pissed: pick up thrown weapons/shields if the ranger is annoying you. Chances are they don't have many spares.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: