Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

Legacy Characters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Legacy Characters

I think it would be both fun and add a lot of flavor to have legacy psionicists, monks, and warlords that you could apply to be able to create (with care for balance), a la Vampire except you apply with a current character and perhaps the next character is outright created for you (level 1, probably maxroll minus 1).

They would be even more exclusive; while you could theoretically have multiple vampires running around, you would have either 0 or just 1 of each of these three running around at any given time (obviously no new monks until Sen and company die out). Similarly, you do not get one without a history of solid 50's, commendable RP, and at least average PK ability. Same cabal leader type standards if not even more stringent.

Even though only honorable people would have a chance at these characters, they would be even further neutered by race, alignment, and ethos selection. Psionicists could be neutral only, lawful or neutral only, and a choice between a race or two that aren't too powerful (think like the generally harmless Rimu or Fondar type, they generally keep to themself but can mess you up if you provoke them). Monks could be only lawful evil, lawful good, or mayyybe neutral good (all can be a bit more agressive here but lawful nerfs that a bit). Warlords would probably be different and take the traditional route where you create the character and apply, but they also would have especially limited race selection (i.e. no dwarf, etc.), true neutral only (chaotic mayyyyybe).

If those restrictions weren't good enough, you could get creative like say outside of extreme circumstances they have to fight others alone. Restricted in such ways these characters would not be too overpowering, would not be trashy anyway, and extremely rare. That and you know the usual OOC gang squads will get jealous and try to trash them non-stop anyway.

For the player they are a chance to do something fresh (the current combos are getting a bit stale), for everyone else its eye candy and livens everything up a bit to interact with that character.

0 0 0
Craginoth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject:

I LOVE IT!

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Slade makes me all hot and bothered inside.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject:

What if once you get accepted and get to roll up your level 1 monk/psi/warlord, you start out with the amount of deaths you had on your character you applied with instead of 61?

Cool concept though Slade. It would be very very hard to play a warrior/ranger/zerker at 50 who doesn't use magic and be able to pk effectively. I'd say someone who could do that for a month or two would definately be worth of turning warlord or monk.

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject:

Dioraem 2.0? ..Would be fun, lol. (well.. do mobbed chars get back in?, so no Eunshiil either?)

Uh... I haven't had a large large amount of 50s, ..hah, I might not qualify as legacy (still workin on my vet license, lol)

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject:

Guess I forgot druids too, though theoretically if updates happen again someday religion mod should be somewhere high on the list anyway.

What I meant was you just play a normal respectable 50, put in your 250+ hours, then apply on reputation for the ability to create a new char. You wouldn't have to be nomagic on one char just to get a new char warlord. Someone else could figure out warlord. Really I just want a psi, and monks and druids if applicable fit that model easily too.

Just have to make them very exclusive, no uber races, and they are either true neutral only or lawful if OK to have good/evil.

0 0 0
Craginoth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Since applying combat/weapon modules to monks would be difficult, maybe you could make it where certain weapon/combat style gets advantage over certain stance or empowerment. Just a suggestion. Druids could get weapon ward and that would make them hybrid. I don't think they need anything else since you play them like a mage anyways. Warlords would be fun because I've seen alot of armor gathering and that no one wants to fight because they want to keep it. So with Warlords we could turn it back into fighting to the stun, that way death can be kept out of it for all those who don't want to die. I know that this process was suppose to be void due to the Arena, but running around in a circle just for them to run out the door is no fun. Plus there isn't any records. While the mud is in great shape, game wise, I think the balancing state may have went too technical, so bringing back some of the interesting and fun things from the past would help give AR that little boost that it needs, especially for the veterans.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject:

If you recall correctly the imms decided warlords werent blood thirsty enough, and it would stun then bleed them to death if you didn't finish.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Mummy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Craginoth wrote:
Since applying combat/weapon modules to monks would be difficult, maybe you could make it where certain weapon/combat style gets advantage over certain stance or empowerment.

Or leave it like it is and monks will be disadvantaged basically all the time... that would make it to where only vets would want to play one, probably. Dunno about you, but the thought of always being disadvantaged all around and ALWAYS having to deal with hobble, parry, concentrate, etc, is kinda... well....

FUCKIN SCARY.

So I wouldn't make one... but vets might be able to do something with it anyway...

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: