Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

Hold Person spell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Hold Person spell

I don't know if there is this type of spell already, but if not, I think a Hold Person spell would be sweet. The person/creature you cast it on has their feet rooted to the ground, so they can't flee, kick, trip, or anything else that requires moving the legs.

Flame away.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Sounds overpowered. I like it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Remember, I came from there too. I suggested the hold person spell long long ago, and i think thats where the druid root spell came from.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Playing Devil's advocate, here are the problems I see with this type of spell.
1. Right out of the box it sounds too powerful. With fleeing and skirmishing and changing weapon types for weapon advantage being such an important part of the game, just the immobilization portion of this spell alone would make it very very powerful.

2. Casters already have weapon ward to keep out every attack known to man (avian,duergar,woman, etc). I am not sure they need another way to stop dirt kicking.

3. Would you, as a thief or ninja for example, want to be rendered immobile with no way to dirt kick or kick (double kick for ninja?). Throw into the mix if you are fighting a mage class (not sure what class you would want to have this spell) you can't dirt kick anyway (due to weapon ward), you couldn't flee to flee/murder (due to this immbolization), couldn't get away from a cause continual (for example).

In my opinion these kinds of ideas (new spells/skills) are good. It shows that people are interested in the game. What needs to happen, though, is think about how you would feel if you had this spell cast on you. You need to play the Devil's advocate on your own idea and perhaps introduce ways that such things could be dealt with...for example >
The hold spell could have a 2 round casting lag and a 1 round duration. This could potentially stop the hold/dispel magic/ hellstream /hellstream /hellstream/death that would normally ensue after the hold spell was cast.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Something that holds you in place during combat, even with one hour duration, would be completely ridiculous for group warfare.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject:

No exit rooms/Closed doors.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject:

I agree that I should have throught this through more. But then, that's what group discussion facilitates.

So ya...holding a person in place AND taking away their ability to kick/dirt/etc is way too powerful. But remove someone's ability to flee I think is not. If Silence can take away a spellcaster's ability to fight well, why not do something similar to those classes that rely on skirmishing?

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject:

I would say Olyn answered that question. Group warfare non-withstanding, taking away someone's ability to flee is the equivalent to a near 100 percent kill/loot. Casters don't really need more ways (protective shield and weapon ward) to prevent warriors/thieves from doing their maneuvers.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject:

True. So let's make it something like a Fear spell, and only Dark Knights and Shamans get it. Freak the shit out of the opponent so they're frozen in their tracks.

I dunno. Slow day here at work.

0 0 0
RebornShadows

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject:

oh i have an idea lets have warcry when used in battle scare the other guy and make them drop their weapons and cant move for 2 rounds!!
Lets have ninja flip out and kill everyone in the room with one hit no matter the health but can only be used once every 2 days in game.

dude the game is fine as is with other things waiting to be done. pretty much whats been said here is to give one class or a select group of classes an advantage. imo we dont need new skill and spells cause as soon as one thing makes it in all the other classes are gonna have to have something to make it balanced again and right now it is balanced.

That and a spell called Fear reminds me of WoW to much.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject:

lets give berserkers an passive that makes it so they can use multiple skills a round cause they're so wild and crazy. it wouldn't be op because only berserker would have it.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject:

RebornShadows wrote:

dude the game is fine as is with other things waiting to be done.

There's an Ideas and Suggestions forum for a reason.

0 0 0
RebornShadows

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject:

indeed there is one for a reason but overpower skills and spells are rather useless. even more so if you dont think it all through. sure a spell called fear or whatever where the other guy cant do anything sounds fun and all that but its rather pointless cause everyone will make the class that gets it so they can use it on everyone else and really it would just be a giant fear fest.

Dav could (i think) back up the game and put all of these ideas into it and i bet within a week or so everyone is going to bitch about something or other fact is the game is fine.

On thoughts with ideas how about come up with an idea that affects the comunne classes? different faiths etc. We could have it where picking one god helps better with healing while another god is more damage based and boost attack spells. for healers? For shamans one god can again boost healing while another could boost mals. while another one boost the damage spells (yes i just pulled this out of my ass so really no thought went into this)

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject:

As far as movement goes, all we do with that is mess with peoples movement points and regeneration. We dont want to just prevent them from moving (other than bash, which is a tactical stun with a lot of fail-safes built in) because that is frustrating to the players. Its just like lag. Sure we could do it. We could make it more reasonable if we just make damage break the effect, but then we already have 3 other skills doing that, and it would just be homogenizing classes even more.

0 0 0
Thorgoth
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject:

i tried to post this on a locked topic but i had to get it out.

so hypothetically speaking to everyone who complains about davairus:

let's say you have a boss who caps your salary, sticks you in a window side office and give you paid vacation for 5 weeks out of the year (dav)

now let's say that he works constantly to keep you in your comfy position by pursuing business partners and expanding income and employment to give you job security - 24 hours / 7 days a week

so one day he is totally swamped and needs you to make some copies for him, and you turn around and bitch and moan about how much work it is when all you have on your agenda is a game of golf, but instead of saying thank you for the job, you get your panties twisted and waaah waaah about how shitty he is an that he sucks for making you do one thing...you're that ungreatful dick

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject:

On topic of that fear spell...One it sounds too much like wow...Two there's already hysteria which lowers chance of flee.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject:

picpen wrote:
you're that ungreatful dick

You're not referring to me are you? Cuz I totally wasn't complaining about Dav. Just fielding an idea.

0 0 0
Arishel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject:

If you really want something that holds a person, necromancers get a spell called hold undead. Only used against the undead of course, and then if you really wanted to get a spell that is like that make a vampire they get one that basically makes you extremely happy.

0 0 0
TheOneAndOnly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Necromancers get sleep, thieves get blackjack.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: