Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

Dark Knights
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject:

I would love to be able to give beia a vamp to play but the entire rest of the pbase would jump so far up my ass I'd never hear the end of it

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject:

A few vamps for anyone is better than no vamps for anyone.

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject:

I would not be able to Rpz a vampire right now anyway.

I found this old gif of Nycticora when he use to get pked as a mort.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject:

Hrimoyan wrote:
Dwarf zerks are only good on paper. No large size + no one-handing overbear weapons = it's not going to do well as a zerk. Size and dex affect success of bodyslam landing, but we know size diff affects lag time. Zerkers are a big race/max damage output class. Dwarf zerk too small blah blah blah.

Did you know that quantum mechanics has been used to estimate the radius of the atom to a figure which agrees with experimental data to frankly astonishing accuracy?

That's why I don't buy this "only good on paper" line. You need to go back and figure out what you've missed.

As an example, you claimed here that size diff affects lag time. It doesn't. Its lag time isn't affected by size at all. You have no data to back that claim up. The only instance I can recall size affecting lag time is a tripped giant being lagged for longer.

Meanwhile, I can link the logs of people dying to final reserve from dwarf berserkers if I want. Keep your con stat maxed, otherwise it'll be shitty.

0 0 0
Mummy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject:

I don't think Drow DK is underpowered with addition of mounts giving them a formidable bash and protecting from trip and caltrap.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try incorporating some of these next time I fight a DK.

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject:

tripping or caltraps vs hybrids is a nonstarter anyway. Maybe vs paladins, but not vs dks. There's no reason to do those things.

like you said, the mount gives them a better bash, which really means that a ton of racial gimpiness was explicitly coded against with a specific skill/spell for a specific class. Its like sticking one's finger in a dike.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject:

Fireballe2 wrote:
tripping or caltraps vs hybrids is a nonstarter anyway. Maybe vs paladins, but not vs dks. There's no reason to do those things.

like you said, the mount gives them a better bash, which really means that a ton of racial gimpiness was explicitly coded against with a specific skill/spell for a specific class. Its like sticking one's finger in a dike.

Caltraps is what -5s hit/dam/strength/dex? Either way. I think it affects strength as well. Anything that lowers strength has a place in combat. Especially against low strength races like halfing, gnome, etc.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject:

Fireballe2 wrote:
like you said, the mount gives them a better bash, which really means that a ton of racial gimpiness was explicitly coded against with a specific skill/spell for a specific class

hey guess what doesn't do that and has never, ever done that

no I'll let you guess I don't want to spoil the surprise

0 0 0
Hrimoyan
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
Hrimoyan wrote:
Dwarf zerks are only good on paper. No large size + no one-handing overbear weapons = it's not going to do well as a zerk. Size and dex affect success of bodyslam landing, but we know size diff affects lag time. Zerkers are a big race/max damage output class. Dwarf zerk too small blah blah blah.

Did you know that quantum mechanics has been used to estimate the radius of the atom to a figure which agrees with experimental data to frankly astonishing accuracy?

That's why I don't buy this "only good on paper" line. You need to go back and figure out what you've missed.

As an example, you claimed here that size diff affects lag time. It doesn't. Its lag time isn't affected by size at all. You have no data to back that claim up. The only instance I can recall size affecting lag time is a tripped giant being lagged for longer.

Meanwhile, I can link the logs of people dying to final reserve from dwarf berserkers if I want. Keep your con stat maxed, otherwise it'll be shitty.

Feel free to link them. So what affects lag time for bodyslam then? Con? I wouldn't mind seeing a topic just discussing the combo. I think there are pitfalls between Dwarf Zerk potential with the perfect scenario versus the practical PK style in the game typically denying that. The combo is flurry in race/class form. Not to mention Final Reserve kills aren't really a winner indicator.

0 0 0
Mummy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Fire giant race page says strength.

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Its probably strength, since bodyslam is dex based. If we're talking about a dwarf zerk bodyslam, I've been told dex is the stat for it.

Quote:
Syntax: bodyslam <target>

Berserkers are known to throw their bodies violently flying toward their
opponents. This maneuver may result in knocking the victim senseless,
stunned and momentarily paralyzed. Some factors that affect the success of
a bodyslam are size and dexterity.

In this case, I'm guessing size = lagtime, and dex = hit possibility. This doesn't seem like a bad guess, since giant berserkers do a lot of lag to people despite being low dex.

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject:

The only way to kill a skilled dk as a ninja is assassinate. Else you're at the mercy of randomness. As a drow ninja your poison might make him drop his wep. But I'd say a skilled dk would have it cursed. If assassinate fails you'll just find your self getting bashed to death by a dk who has maxed his unholy strength. So flee and reset as fast as possible. Also anyone who says dks are underpowered needs to do some more pking against or with one. Esp a jotun. I think ninjas have a better chance of killing necros or illusionist at this point.

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject:

a cursed weapon is asking to be owned by weapon skills. Why don't you guys try using weapon skills to nuke them? Lead with assassinate for damage and a possible instant death, skirmish to wear down their hp and unholy strength, grapple toss them off their horse, dirt them in towns or other areas that'll give them the longest time to rub it out since they don't have blind fighting, and then give them the weapon skill nukes. Those things hurt, and they have secondary effects.

Sidestepping someone whoring polearms really, REALLY hurts.

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject:

You have some points, but a good dk will have a weapon changing alias he'll use after he flees. First it'll quaff a potion of weapon freeing then change his wep to what he wants. Then initiate with bash. All the while the ninja might be stuck recovering or just recovered from a weapon skill. And I'd never use sidestep for a few reasons. Even if it hurts the dk a bit, thats 3 rounds of lag + a bash on top. And a dk worth his salt would flee, wear a male break and vamp back to a few scratches. Laughing all the while if he managed to hit the ninja with faerie fire. Of course the ninja can use acupuncture in response, If that works then the ninja has only delayed the inevitable. Now I might use sidestep if I see an opening, such as a missed bash, but that might pass me to quick, I'd rather try to blind and hope we come out even lag wise and that the RNG hasn't screwed me in the rounds. The dks just pump out too much damage and even more if they use a drow vuln.

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject:

weapon freeing is -15 strength for one tick. If they try that, they wont have a weapon in their hand and you get free damage on someone with no strength. If they have full unholy armor from their weighty armor, they'll also be draining the crap out of their moves trying to run.

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Well that's lame, esp if unholy strength doesn't counter that. In that case I would just wield a cursed polearm and go to town on the poor ninja.

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject:

sidesteps ahoy.

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject:

I still don't think that's enough against a polearm dark knight. In order for it to work great you're counting on sidestep landing AND trip which leaves more to the RNG. And if he is on his pony trip won't work. Meanwhile he is trying to get lucky with a bash or blinding you or other skills. And even if you do try to blind him that gives him two more rounds to bash you. And ninjas don't have polearms so that increases his chances of landing hits. I suppose he could trade DMG equipment for str equipment and hope unholy strength makes up for the damage while he switches weps, but that's a lot of work and I'd be too lazy of a dark knight to to that.

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject:

I'll playtest a ninja and see what I can figure out. You're right, the sidestep lag is too long. I don't think having it lag so much is a valid counter to how much damage it does. We want more of the gameplay in the skill hand, less in the luck or shutout hand.

from what I can tell, it's supposed to have a similar effect to strike of faith/pain. It has the same lag, so I think it's supposed to be as gamechanging as those abilities. The irony being that SoF/P is useless against anything but spellcasters, and also against them if they're any good at keeping ward up.

Last edited by Fireballe2 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Good plan.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: